Sign in to follow this  
VoongKoong

Cooler Master CPU Cooler Reviews

VoongKoong    0

Please post here reviews of Cooler Master CPU coolers. This will be more up to date than the Cooler Master website and will help a lot of people with questions since reviews can provide a lot of information about the product. Just provide the link and I'll organize a list here so it's easy to search for a review. Please follow the rules and keep the reviews in English. Thank you!

ID    0
My JET 4 review,

http://www.hybrid-mods.net/index.php?mo ... tent&id=16

It is a comparison of the JET 4 to the Spire Coolwave.

The 'review' only shows up as a couple of short paragraphs and a picture. Am I missing something?

Also, this might seem petty, but the following quote that you lifted and put in your review -"You will not regret your purchase when you join the force with us and feel the vigor!", is otherwise only found on sites actually selling the product. As you are merely reviewing it, you might want to drop this poorly-translated phrase.

EDIT: My bad, the link to Page 2 is way down in the bottom-left corner.

Grump    0
My JET 4 review,

It is a comparison of the JET 4 to the Spire Coolwave.

I see a couple things I'd like to comment on. I hope that's Okay.

The first thing I see is "Brandon Cook rates it star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif." It isn't clear if you are rating a product or the review itself. I'm guessing it's the review. I don't see where a reader can rate it, but the implication is that a reader can. I wouldn't rate it 5 stars, but then, I don't know what the highest number of stars is. If it's 10 stars, then I would rate it 5 stars.

Anyway, the next thing I see is you took all of the copy for your first page directly from the product page for the Jet 4. Unless you have permission, that is copyright infringement. If you do have permission, you should have stated so in the review. I suspect the product info on the CoolWave is also a copy, although I didn't check to be sure. There was also a picture (or more?) missing on the page you introduced the CoolWave.

You also didn't tell the reader what your testing methods were or how you determined the results. You gave a bunch of temperatures, but unless the reader is familiar with the average temperature range, one wouldn't know what those numbers refer to, Celsius or Fahrenheit. Although you mention noise levels in the pros and cons, you had no mention of them in the review.

The results you came to were not based on the stock products, since you said you didn't use the supplied thermal paste with either one. I have no doubt you used a product you thought was better, but there was no explanation of that. In any case, the temperatures you state will not be the same for the average buyer of either product, because most use the paste supplied with the cooler. You should use the stock paste so that the reader will have a clearer picture of what to expect from the coolers. Because each company uses a different paste formulation, the test results could have varied quite a bit from what you came up with.

Now I don't understand how you could have given the Jet 4 four and a half stars out of five when you had noted several problems that would indicate a lower score compare to your award of 5 stars for the CoolWave. You mentioned the base was rough and you thought it needed lapping. It appeared to be rougher than the other product. You made a big deal out of the difficulty in installing it and its size, making it sound like a drawback, not an asset. Then there's the big difference in price. I just don't see how you justify such a close comparison. It's not that I don't think the Jet 4 is not worthy of 4 1/2 stars, because I think it is a quality product, but your comparison and stated results don't tally up to a difference of only a half a star.

Finally, I thought the review/comparison was difficult to navigate. Like InfectiousDust, I didn't notice the page links right away. You might want to place them in a position on the page that makes them more apparent -- and a link or drop-down selector to all the pages would make it easier to go to specific pages without having to go in order.

Maybe you could look at other major review sites to see how they do theirs. Not that I think you should mimic them, but that you might find useful ideas in layout, composition and methods. I hope you understand these are just comments and observations on your review -- my own opinions. They aren't meant to insult or piss anyone off.

Grump

merovingian    0

Grump does the review of the review. I love it. Allow me....

While I found Grumps review of the review informative and direct, there were still a few things I think that could have been done to make it just that much better. I notice first that while criticism is important and most helpful here, there is no real sense of encouragement or endorsment of an outstanding effort on behalf of Mr. Cook no matter how batched the inital review actually was. Sometimes it's good to say something nice even if it's, "your review didn't totally suck". Little else to complain about here as grump seems to cover everything from site compairisons to the legal aspects of Mr. Cooks review and an unbias opinion on a cm product. In the future I think grump could benefit from providing a rating system for the review of the review. With that said, this review of the review of the review awards the review of the review 4.5 out of 5 stars. :D

ID    0

I think Grump said what needed to be said. His comments were not an attack on Hybrid-Mods, nor were they insulting. He highlighted some very important points that hopefully Hybrid-Mods will take into account in the future. A little bit of constructive criticism is never a bad thing.

Now then, lets go back to reviewing CPU coolers!

Grump    0
Grump does the review of the review. I love it. Allow me.... :D

I get it. InfectiousDust was right though, I meant no disrespect. I like Brandon and I hope he knows that. I also agree that we need to stay focused in this thread. Mr. Miyagi will be taking out the trash, so let's not make his job harder.

Grump