Robert

Cooling Issues with Cooler Master Nepton 240m

Robert    0

Hello, I have a Cooler Master Nepton 240m with two corsair AF120 fans. The Nepton is cooling my i5 6600k that is currently overclocked at 4.6GHZ. I originally purchased the Nepton for my FX 8350 and then after switching to Intel i changed over the bracket to the Intel one. My case (h440) hasn't changed either. When i stressed the FX chip i only used to ever get around 80C using Prime 95. Now when i stress the i5 (depending on my room temps) it can range from 90-97C which is worrying. I underclocked it down to 4.4GHZ and this seemed to help slightly as i got temps of around 80-85C using Prime 95. My idle temps seem okay, for both clock speeds they are 28-31C depending on how long the PC has been on. 

Currently my cooler is mounted so the cooler master logo is the correct way, yet ive seen images of people mounting it sideways, like so;

43-test_system_built.jpg

Here are some pictures of my temps;

Test_1.jpg

and when i underclocked it;

Test_2.png

Can someone please help me figure out why my temps get so high?

Thanks, Rob

CM Patrick    34

Hello Robert,

You can't compare two different CPU's as both Intel and AMD will perform completely different even if they are at the same clock speed.

Prime 95 will produce extremely hot CPU temperatures especially when the 8k Small FFT test is running. If this stress test produces too hot of temperatures then maybe try something like ASUS real bench instead.

Overall the temperatures seem quite normal for that CPU at 1.264 or 1.312 Vcore.

Patrick
CMUSA Support

Robert    0

Okay thank you, I was really worried about my cooler until now 0.0

Only thing is, you say 1.3V but my HW monitor only says 1.286 for my 4.6ghz overclock, did you round it up or am I reading the wrong voltage?

Thanks for your help, Rob

CM Patrick    34

Hello Robert,

I am reading the Maximum Vcore displayed in HWmonitor in your first screen shot.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Patrick

CMUSA Support

Robert    0

Thanks for the reply again, I think I must be looking at the wrong place, where abouts is it located within the first screen shot? Sorry to be a pain with all these questions, Thanks Rob

CM Patrick    34

Hello Robert,

I edited your first image.

You may be looking at VID which is different then Vcore.

Sorry 1.312v is your current Vcore at the time of the screen shot. The Maximum Vcore is 1.328v

post-89545-0-48563500-1469748499_thumb.jpg

Patrick
CMUSA Support

knud    123

What thermal grease are you using? This could make another 4-6c difference depending on the type of grease.

How is the fresh air intake?