Sign in to follow this  
DJ5A

?'s about CMS side panel concerning sound & cooling...

DJ5A    0

Hello CMS Owners:

Do you think I would reduce my fan noise if I replaced the stock side panel with the 1 foot hole that has a filter in it with a window side panel?

or

If I used window panel & put a 120mm Silenx directly across from CPU fan would this possibly be quieter & cooler than the stock cover?

DJ5A    0

But I know some of you CM Stacker Owners have replaced you stock cover with the Plexi - Window Panel.

Do you think there will be a big enough of a difference in noise reduction over the stock one? I want it as quiet as possible... :)

OK, if there is that big of a difference with the Plexi-Window Cover, if I decided later to put a very quiet fan in there to blow toward my CPU, do you think it would still be quieter than the stock one. I'm thinking I would put a 120mm SilenX 14dBa fan there.

Any help on this would be appreciated! :)

Well what you're asking is pretty general. Your setup might be totally different than others so it's really hard for them to answer your question. From what i noticed with the stacker i have running here with a window is that it's quieter than without. I'm not sure why but i think it block some of the sound you could hear through the screen mesh.

DJ5A    0
From what i noticed with the stacker i have running here with a window is that it's quieter than without. I'm not sure why but i think it block some of the sound you could hear through the screen mesh.

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping on that. My CMS case is almost completely stock except for 2 of the fans & it's only 4 days old since I changed over to CMS... And I love it! :)

All my bays across the front are full except for 4 of them & I stuffed them full of 3" foam & it did reduce a little noise.

I replaced my front Intake & Top Blow hole with SilenX 14dBa fans which helped a lot. I have a OCZ 520W PowerStream with 2-80mm fans that help exhaust the air a little & it has a Panaflow 92mm on the CPU XP-90 HS, so it doesn't make a lot of noise to start with.

It really runs cools good, with the fans & all I got in there... I knocked off 19c on my CPU load temp due to CMS case, XP-90 & the fans I used. My Idle temp is down 5c & case temp dropped 4c... Again I'm very pleased with it!

I've been doing some more reading & I'm thinking about taking an extra 92mm fan & cutting out the center using it for a spacer, getting a 92mm to 120mm adapter & then placing a quieter 120mm on the XP-90 HS that is 30dBa or less. That should help even more! :)

You know how it goes, if I can get it even a little more quieter & cooler, I'm all for it! Looks like I'll be cutting out that Big round hole & putting a window in there very soon! YEEEEHA!

you can always opt for a fan controller to reduce the fan speed, hence reduce the sound to lower level and still have nice air flow~ :wink:

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

the reaons the window is quiter is because the perspex is exceptionally dense and its posited above hte loud components.

domoMKIV    0

I replaced the 120mm fans that came with the case, they push something along the lines of 11CFM which just doesnt cut it imo. I put in 3 120mm deltas running on lowest setting possible, nice and quiet. 80mm fan on the CPU and the hdd's = the loudest thing in my case. My PSU has a 140mm fan on it and is impossible to hear.

I want to replace the mesh side panel with another crossflow panel, run the watercooling in here and have MUSIC TO MY EARS (quiet).

but yeah, this case definitely rocks.

.nathan.    0

If you really like cold, and really like quiet then you should go for a WC system. Iv got a competitors model hooked up to both my GPU and CPU (makes a max noise of 25db, i repeat MAX noise of 25db (and thats for both GPU AND CPU)) Iv got just one exhaust 80mm stock fan ( ~23db - but runs quieter cause I keep it low with a musketeer) (on the wavemaster) and an akasa paxpower silent (18db) PSU.

Thats an approximate accumulated db level of 56db (give or take) muffled by both the case and also the sound proofing matts and pads on fans to cut out vibration, I should test the noise level, but I cant imagine its more than about 36db outside of case, which is pretty good.

Doesnt sound like much cooling but my inside case temp sits at around 27c-31c and theres hardly a noise to hear (havent done enough testing yet to get accurate CPU temps, but they're low enough for overclocking). Theres alot to say for WC when it comes to both keepin it cooler, and noise reduction.

I would like one more fan blowin into the case, but I dont want to sacrifice the top USB ports (handy for memory stick even though I got 6 on the mb...there at the back!:P) and the front two ports are taken with the WC cooler, so I might have to customise at some point, I might get up the courage to drill a port on the side panel, and whack a silent as :) fan in there.

But my PC does everything, music, TV and multi media production (at UNI) so the quietness is also important to me :-)

good luck on your hunt for the quietest PC