Sign in to follow this  
laajr

Real Power 450W Noise

laajr    0

Looking at purchasing a Real Power 450 for a new build (have a Cavalier 3 case) and have a question concerning fan noise. I read the review over at SilentPC Review and about the only issue they had with the unit was noise of the fan from med to high pwr usage.

For those that own this PS, what is your impression of the fan noise? SilentPC Review felt that the fan ramped up rather quickly over a 150W load which brought about the increased fan noise.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

I own the RP450 and honestly I have never heard the fan before. You may think I'm kidding but I'm far from it. All the 120mm fans in my case are not audible at all unless you put your ear right next to it. The rest of the fans in my case are pretty loud tho. All my 80mm fans, and my 6800 Ultra which is the loudest fan in the damn case. But thank god I have all my fans on a fan controller, so its only loud when I play games anyway.

But I dunno what SilentPC is talkin about, honestly, I don't see how they figure this fan is noisy. This is the most silent power supply I have ever heard in my life, and I'm not even joking. 120mm fans make a big difference in silence, compared to smaller 80mm and 92mm fans.

laajr    0

Of all the reviews I read on this PS, the SilentPC Review was the only one that mentioned a loud fan at the higher pwr levels. Perhaps it was unique to their particular unit??

Appreciate the info.

Thanks!

ninuhadida    0

well what will you expect from silentpcreview? these guys don't mind if the fan is audioable or screaming, they just want everything dead silent. personally i don't like screaming fans, ect, but if it is audioable i don't mind. all i can here right now from my case are the chipset and vga fans - 40mm ones, maybe i'll put a resistor to get them down to 9v and the 120mm, but that's only when the temp goes 20+ on my rad, cause it has a thermal sensor....

madman2003    0

Silentpcreview is very strict on noise levels, maybe you should ask on their forums? Anyone who still has 40 mm fans(or stock noisy gpu fans) are not a good reference.

PSiBeR    0

I own this PSU, and I can tell you its really quiet, only way to hear some noise is if you put your ear to side of your case.

Hybrid-Mods    0

I own one as well, I even wrote a review on it. Luckily for you.. I have my entire testbed outside my case right now. My rig is currently sucking 100 watts.. right now i'm not doing much.. I'll throw on some prime 95, and put on a set of cathodes, i know it then should be higher.. about 175.. I'll let you know about this increase in "noise" as they say there is.

ShaShou    0

I also own this power supply, and I don't find it to be loud at all. As someone else said, my 6800 GT is much louder. Plus, all fans are going to make some noise, at least the fan is doing it's job and keeping the power supply cool.

On the other hand, a power supply that has self destructed because the fan didn'tt ramp up is also pretty quiet.

Grump    0

I used a Real Power 450W in The Grump Case and even changed the fan to get a orange UV one, which is a slightly louder fan, and it's still very quiet. It's an excellent PSU and I was given a PSU from another manufacturer that told me theirs was more powerful and quieter. I tried them both and chose the CM Real Power -- and my priority was a quiet PC.