Sign in to follow this  
asellus

Several questions about Hyper48.

asellus    0

1. What is the best orientation for the Hyper48 heatsink so that the heatpipes can work efficiently? I have heard that if you positioned the Hyper48 incorrectly, the heatpipes will not work efficiently. My setup is a tower casing (thus the motherboard is in a vertical position), and I have a 500W PSU with bottom fan that sucks air out from the casing.

2. If I run out of the supplied thermal compound, can I use another CoolerMaster thermal compound? How about HTK-002?

Guest Mindless Moron   
Guest Mindless Moron

be warned cm thermal paste is better than it looks, its like glue. so is as5 when applied incorrectly.

asellus    0

So HTK-002 is not good enough for replacing the stock thermal compund that comes with Hyper48?

be warned cm thermal paste is better than it looks, its like glue. so is as5 when applied incorrectly.

So, what the correct way of applying the thermal paste? One side only (CPU or heatsink) or both (CPU and heatsink)?

Mr. Miyagi    2

Yeah, if there is a heatspreader on your processor, all you need to do is apply a "bb" size amount in the center and pressure from the heatsink will cause it to be even.

asellus    0

Sorry, but I don't know what a heat spreader is.

BTW, my CPU is a P4 2.8E Prescott. Does that one has a heat spreader?

Mr. Miyagi    2

Yes it does. The heatspreader is the metal plate on the CPU to help cool the core more.

asellus    0
Yes it does. The heatspreader is the metal plate on the CPU to help cool the core more.

Ok, thanks. So then, I can mount the Hyper48 in any direction, am I right?

Forgot to ask, what is a 'bb' size?