Marlon van der Linde

Nepton 240M and non-K 4790 = temp check

Hello guys

So I want to ask about this, because my OCD is driving me nuts...

First and foremost, I am technically inclined, and think I did a great job with the install from TIM to brackets and fans.

The Nepton (well the Silencio's) are quiet!

Secondly, this is a non-K 4790...

I had a massive space issue between board/RAM and top of the case, so I have the two fans (on the rubber washer) on the outside of the case, and then the radiator on the inside. They are extracting air from the case, but cool air is pushed in direct from the rear fan (so they are not really drawing hot air through the radiator, I think...).

The pump is plugged into SYSFAN1 (and as far as I know, it's set to 100%). The two Silencios are plugged into CPU1 and CPU2 headers, and I have the BIOS profiled to run each the same.

Using intel XTU, i have my turbo mode set to 40x for ALL cores under load, and these are the temps I see:

1. Idling (while typing this) - 34C

2. Idling, with NOTHING by CoreTemp open - 33C

3. Idling with nothing by OpenhardwareMonitor open - 33C

4. LOAD with XTU stress test (3 mins) 59C

5. LOAD while playing ARMA3 (lol) - 50C

I know these temps are within spec, I read a bit into my CPU's thermal dynamics. However, it feels like a twin fan, wide radiator liquid cooler should/could do better.

Am I OCD, paranoid, expecting too much?

For one thing, the Nepton is brining temps down after load was removed almost immediately, something air-cooling did not do.

Would just like to know if you folks could compare or share thoughts.

Cheerios

Marlon

CM Patrick    34

Hello Marlon van der linde,

Those temperatures are perfectly normal for the 4790 CPU and a Nepton 240m.

Remember the 4790 has a thermal shut down temperature of around 90c-100c so your temps are just fine.

Patrick
CMUSA Support

knud    129

What case are you using? And what are the other components installed inside the case?

Hey guys

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.

It is good to know the temperatures are in spec. I think one tends to overthink/over-expect liquid cooling to be cooler, when in fact this is already miraculously cool for a "permanently in turbo mode" 4790 :-)

It seems that after a week, the T.I.M have settled too, idle temps are around 3C cooler than when i made this post.

@christian: 

Correct. I have the radiator on the top of the case, inside. The rubber vibration pad and fans are outside the case on top, extracting. The airflow is pretty unrestricted. 

My Case is an el-cheapo DeepCool tesseract (yes, i know... i have a plan for replacement soon).

Here are some images, hope it helps. (note there is a fresh intake fan 90 degrees right off the back, to give the radiator fresh air directly from outside)

http://imgur.com/a/QcECM

Thanks for the pics.

I believe the stock fans are optimized for static pressure, and may provide better performance "pushing" air into the radiator.  But honestly - you don't have much choice on the configuration of your fans, and I think the compromise you're dealing with having the fans on the "pull" side is pretty minimal.

• Upvote 1

knud    129

Thanks for sharing the pics + updates.

I noticed you've set the country flag to South Africa - what are you ambient temperatures?

Thanks for sharing the pics + updates.

I noticed you've set the country flag to South Africa - what are you ambient temperatures?

Hey there.

Down here in Cape Town, winter rainfall area... (winter starting now) about 15-24C day to day, in summer 30-40C

Indoors between winter and summer, maybe 25-30 tops

Those are similar temps I have on a i7 2600 on a Seidon 240M.  While there are many other factors which determine when a loaded CPU's thermal solution settles at, being at similar TDPs - you are probably on the good side.