Tim Dees

Hyper 612 cooler and MSI Z170A motherboard--no mounting points

Tim Dees    0

This topic is misleading, as after I posted my original message, I figured out how to install the backplate onto the motherboard. Now that I've done that, I have another problem. This massive piece of metal is held on to the motherboard with a single screw. Mounting it involves mating it with a clip on one side of the mounting bracket, then securing the other side with a single screw. This arrangement won't support its own weight. As soon as I got the cooler installed and turned the case upright, the mounting bracket let go and the cooler was hanging by a thread. This is either the mother of all bad designs, or there is something crucial missing from the instructions. 

Edited by Tim Dees

Not familiar with the Hyper 612, but with the size of screws typically used for mounting brackets and the weights (even this heavy thing) of the heatsinks - the screw should be enough to hold the heatsink in place when fully torqued down.

Hate to ask the obvious question - you have the correct screw on the heatsink and torqueing down to the matching sized thumbscrew/standoff on the bracket?

copwriter1    0

This forum is frustrating. I had to create a new account to get back in and respond. 

There is only one screw to tighten to lock down the cooler assembly. Here's the pictograph from the manual:

coolermaster.jpg

The mount for the cooler requires two sets of four screws: one set holding a plastic backplate to the underside of the motherboard, and another four screws that hold the mounting bracket on the top side of the motherboard. The cooler assembly then has two points of attachment: a hook or lip on one side, and a thumbscrew on the other. No matter how tight I get that thumbscrew, the cooler assembly drops off under its own weight as soon as the motherboard is raised to the vertical. This strikes me as very bad design. 

I've ordered a substitute cooler made by Intel for this processor. It's not as efficient, but it does have four lockdown points that attach to the motherboard. 

So it's the thumbscrew popping out and not the pan-head machine screw?  The threads on the bracket for the thumbscrew may be damaged.  Have you considered returning to the place where you bought it?  Or an RMA thru CM?