Steve Cutter

Backlight and Scroll Lock conflict

I have a CMStorm Devastator keyboard with blue backlight. I am a big user of 'Excel'. However, when you put the keyboard 'Backlight' on using the 'Scroll Lock' key, it applies the 'Scroll Lock' to 'Excel' and I can't 'Arrow' between cells.....I have to turn 'Scroll Lock' off to use 'Excel', but then I can't see the keyboard as it turns the 'Backlight' off. .....Arghhhhh!!!.......

I have downloaded 'Sharp Keys' to remap the 'Scroll Lock' key elsewhere....but then I lose the 'Backlight' altogether. This must be a common problem.....How do I manage to get the 'Backlight' on without applying the 'Scroll Lock' ?

• Upvote 1

jojo    0

I have a CMStorm Devastator keyboard with blue backlight. I am a big user of 'Excel'. However, when you put the keyboard 'Backlight' on using the 'Scroll Lock' key, it applies the 'Scroll Lock' to 'Excel' and I can't 'Arrow' between cells.....I have to turn 'Scroll Lock' off to use 'Excel', but then I can't see the keyboard as it turns the 'Backlight' off. .....Arghhhhh!!!.......

I have downloaded 'Sharp Keys' to remap the 'Scroll Lock' key elsewhere....but then I lose the 'Backlight' altogether. This must be a common problem.....How do I manage to get the 'Backlight' on without applying the 'Scroll Lock' ?

Hi from Germany,

I am having the identical problem and also do not seem to find a solution other than scrapping this keyboard and going for a new one. Or is there help around here?

Tony Youles    0

I have this problem and have to turn off the lights to then use Excel properly.

I have searched online only to find fixes that invole either getting a soldering iron out or getting some kind of script.  But my knowlegde for scripts, etc, is none.

Unless there is someone out there that has a simple way of applying these scripts, then please share.

Edited by Tony Youles

CM Patrick    34

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately there is no way to remap the LED on/off so you will have to use the scroll lock key.

Our Mechanical keyboard do not function this way and have a separate key to control the LED's. This may be a better option for you since you are using excel.

I apologize for any inconvenience and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Patrick
CMUSA Support

• Downvote 1

BaleBonds    0

I recently bought a Devastator II and don't mind scroll lock being necessary to use the back-light so my question is, how do i activate scroll lock on start up in windows 10? I've read dozens of posts on different sites about how to activate the num lock which is currently activating on start up just fine but nothing (that works) about activating scroll lock. The closest I got was another user in a similar situation with his devastator in which he followed the proper steps but it doesn't work on the devastator keyboards and the forum staff responded with "ask someone at Cooler Master"...so here I am. Can anyone help me save a keystroke on every boot up? 

Solace7    0

I dual boot my laptop with linux, and in linux I have a way to turn the light on with a command(which can be bound to any key) I'm sure there might be a windows alternative, I'm looking for one myself.

Chris Footz    2

Guess this explains why this keyboard was on sale.  and also why I will be taking it back to the store tomorrow.  

I'll look for an alternative from another vendor out of spite for the headache that you've caused me with this rediculous design.

• Upvote 2

Charly    0
I found this video on YouTube, it took me 30 minutes do it alone. If you are not good doing this, you must have some Friends who can do it. the best thing is that works 100%.
It's a shame that a brand like cooler master sell this kind of products. At this point I don't know what is the worst thing, the people who developed this keyboard or the people who approved it.

That is the big difference between profesional brands and cooler master.

Regards.

Josiah    0
On 4/15/2016 at 1:22 AM, CM Patrick said:

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately there is no way to remap the LED on/off so you will have to use the scroll lock key.

Our Mechanical keyboard do not function this way and have a separate key to control the LED's. This may be a better option for you since you are using excel.

I apologize for any inconvenience and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Patrick
CMUSA Support

Every person on the planet uses Excel. That's like saying you should buy a special keyboard to use the Windows button normally. 

Why is it so hard for you guys to just admit that you made a really obvious design error? Smh. Last CM hardware I purchase due to that response alone.