Rick Palamara

Nepton 240M cable connection to motherboard

I have the Nepton 240M cooler connected to my gigbyte z170x gaming 3 motherboard with an i7 6700k cpu.  I just wanted to know if my cable connection is correct.  I have the pump connected to the cpu_fan header and the radiator fans connected to the cpu_opt header.  I have checked the temps and at idle it sits at 32 degrees celsius and under load gets up to 83 degrees celsius.  I am using the Intel extreme tuning utility to put the cpu under load.   I would have thought that it should run cooler than that when under load.  So is my cable connections ok or should they be setup differently.

Sunday Morning    177

Hi

Welcome to CM forum

If iam not mistake you have 3x system fans header on the motherboard

my suggestion try change connect the radiator fans into the system fans header .. and see how.

On my ASUS ROG motherboard, the cpu_fan header varies speed by cpu temp.  The cpu_opt maintains constant voltage.  I would swap them - the pump should be running full speed (it should be quiet, despite the rpm) - make sure the pump rpm shows 1400 rpm or so (at least that's what my Seidon did).  The radiator fans should be hooked up to the cpu_fan header, so it ramps up the speed according to cpu load.  Do you have the fan speed profiles set up in BIOS?

As for your temps, several questions:

- Are you overclocked?

- Is your ambient room temp much over 24deg C?

- Not familiar with the Intel tuning utility - does it vary clock speed and voltages?

For my old 2600 i7, at stock voltages, stock speeds - 100% CPU utilization, I was around low 50's with 24deg ambient.  So your 80+ temps seem rather high.

Per previous discussion, if your pump isn't running full speed - that is most likely the culprit.  Swap those fan headers.

Yes I am overclocked to 4.4ghz.  The ambient room temperature is 28 deg C.  You can do a lot with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility including clock speeds and voltage.  I have left my pump connected to the cpu_fan header but have adjusted the bios settings to have it run at full speed.  I have moved my radiator fans to my system fan headers and will see how that goes.

EDIT.. so I have checked the temps and idle is still sitting around 33 deg C and under load with 100% cpu utilization gets to at least 83 deg C.  So really nothing has changed with the temps.  So I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

You would think that there would be a standard set by Coolermaster as to where the pump and radiator fans should be connected to the motherboard.

Edited by Rick Palamara

Sunday Morning    177

Hi

Here is some suggestion or tips

1, try Disconnected your Nepton and try reseat or Repump the Nepton and see How the result

2, try tighten the screws by hand as much as you can and then give them 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn with a screwdriver.  ( dont over )

3, If you start up the cooler, you should feel the pump working // running. (if you touch the tubes or the cpu block, you should fee a small vibration, indicating there is a water flow.The pump RPM should be around 6000-7000 RPM btw., 

4, Could be air (bubbles) trapped in the radiator / loop. Eventually this will disappear.

5, Last step , If you're really concerned, I would recommend contacting support services and seeing what they say about it-- they should be able to tell you more definitively.

Hope this can help

I checked the rpm of my pump on the cpu_fan header and the maximum speed it is running at is 2825 rpm.  I have set this at full speed in bios.  When I get a chance I will try and reseat the pump back onto the cpu.  

I have noticed that after it reaches 83 deg C and I stop the load test it only takes about twenty seconds for the temps to drop back down to

about 33 deg c.

Edited by Rick Palamara