Sign in to follow this  
jonathan

few things wrong about the cooldrive4/cm stack(image incl)

jonathan    0

Well I bought a cooldrive and first problem is that it doesnt seem to fit an atx case or at least it doesnt fit the cm stacker right. I lined a cdrom up to it also and the screw holes dont line up. The next thing is that the damn thing wont stop beeping . im guessing it needs all fans ???!? I have 7 HDs that need coolers I only bought 1 for testing though. I dont even have enough fans to supply 1 hd cooler so it constantly beeps like a smoke detector ... I dont understand why it would be built like this people have more than 1 drive. I know u can shut it off after it starts beeping but thats too much of a hassle to do everytime. Maybe im missing something ?

oh yea the cm stacker .. why was the hd holder made so u cant put the fan on after putting a floppy drive in ? shouldent the floppy have its own housing so it doesnt get in the way ?

Booradley    0

If you have a heatsink fan hooked up to the Cooldrive you will most likely have to turn off the fan controller in the BIOS.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly, "I dont understand why it would be built like this people have more than 1 drive", but it's only built to accomidate 1 drive :?

The first time I turned my system on with the Cooldrive, it beeped like mad and I was sure I screwed something up until I remembered that when I RTFM's there was a little note that said to hold in the button to stop the beepeing. It never beeped after that.

jonathan    0

the cooldrive is beeping because the fans are not attachced to it. not the motherboard ;( The reason I said ' i duno why its built like that' is because it seems like it needs 4 x 3-Pin fans to be plugged into it at all times or the smoke detector beep will go off ;d If someone wanted to use it on mulitple drives they would all be beeping like crazy ;d

Grump    0

Jonathan,

The beeping is the alarm. Read the manual and you will see where it tells you to press the button down for a period of time to turn off the alarm warning. I don't have the manual or the drive handy, but you should be able to see what I'm referring to by looking in the manual.

You do not need all or even any fans connected to use the CoolDrive4. You will have to turn off the alarm though, or it will think there is a problem with the nonexistent fans.

The CoolDrive4 should fit any standard ATX case. All the cases I am familiar with have enlongated mounting holes for drives and other peripherals. Please describe the alignment problem a little more. Maybe I just don't understand the situation. A picture would be good too, if you can provide one.

Best R'gards,

Grump

Ron    1

Mmm...a beeping Cooldrive 4?

Could be severall things.

1) The CPU channel is not connected (Must be always connected, and so does the sensor)

2) The temp comes above the 65 °C.

3) The temp sensor for the CPU is defect

Try to connect the Cooldrives fan to the CPU channel (On the back marked as C1)

oinkypig    0

I was a 1st timer putting COOLDRIVE4 into my casing.

Terrible Nightmare!

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... d=994&pg=3

1) View the photo which shows the bottom of the Cooler.

There are two wires sticking out of the COOLDRIVES's profile red and yellow. These obstruct the unit from sliding when the casings 5.25" space is narrow. It happened in reviews. It happened to me and most probably happened to you.

I almost broke the wires by forcing the unit into my casing before I noticed.

2) My guess for your continous beeping is due to faulty thermal sensors.

My nightmare story:

I set up the cooldrive into my PC after solving the fitting issue.

It gave continous beeping, which I reset but it came back on again.

Re-mounted the HDD and sensors still had the beeping even after resetting the alarm.

Checked the display and showed my CPU at 3 degrees C and HDD at 65 degrees C.

Thought I taped the sensors wrongly and redid the sensor.

Still beeping for Kingdom come....

After 8 hours, finally swapped the two sensors with the remaining 2 sensors, peace and quiet was acheived in my household. Turned out the sensors were faulty in the first place!

I am currently using on HDD, Casing temperature probes but using the fans HDD, VGA, Casing. So the darn thing works whether you have attached or not attached any fans, sensors to it. You only need to reset the alarm once on bootup.

So if your unit keeps beeping even after resetting the alarm, probable cause is the thermal sensor.

Sad ending to my nightmare, the local distributor refused to replace my sensors, couldn't find replacements locally. Canada sells them at US $10 a piece (exclude shipping)... I got the whole COOLDRIVE4 at US$35, could have brought a new COOLDRIVE in Singapore for the costing of shipping 2 sensors to me..*Sigh*....

Hope my input solves the problem.

Ron    1

There are two wires sticking out of the COOLDRIVES's profile red and yellow. These obstruct the unit from sliding when the casings 5.25" space is narrow. It happened in reviews. It happened to me and most probably happened to you.

Yes, I noticed it....and I must agree. :oops:

I can only say: Be carefull :?

Look @ my post above.

My nightmare story:

Re-mounted the HDD and sensors still had the beeping even after resetting the alarm.

After 8 hours, finally swapped the two sensors with the remaining 2 sensors, peace and quiet was acheived in my household. Turned out the sensors were faulty in the first place!

65°C ? Then the alarm will go off.

That is the safty.

I am currently using on HDD, Casing temperature probes but using the fans HDD, VGA, Casing. So the darn thing works whether you have attached or not attached any fans, sensors to it. You only need to reset the alarm once on bootup.

So if your unit keeps beeping even after resetting the alarm, probable cause is the thermal sensor.

Like said before, you need to attach the CPU, otherwise the alarm will beep every time you reboot.

Sad ending to my nightmare, the local distributor refused to replace my sensors, couldn't find replacements locally. Canada sells them at US $10 a piece (exclude shipping)... I got the whole COOLDRIVE4 at US$35, could have brought a new COOLDRIVE in Singapore for the costing of shipping 2 sensors to me..*Sigh*....

Next time contact CM USA.

I now for shure they don´t bother to send you one.

For all in Europe:

info@coolermaster.nl

I was a 1st timer putting COOLDRIVE4 into my casing.

Terrible Nightmare!

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... d=994&pg=3

1) View the photo which shows the bottom of the Cooler.

My nightmare story:

Hope my input solves the problem.

Call me or email me and I'll be more than happy to send you one for FREE!

jonathan    0

ok I could see where there was a problem in the 1st place with the beeping but like I said I have a lot of hds I want to have with the hd cooler so how could I give them all cpu fans to connect ? and I still dont know how to fit the thing into the case .. the wires I think you are talking about in the 1st place were never really an issue because the cm stacker has a lot of those removable grilles that u can make room for. I circled what I thought u were talkin about. The screw holes dont seem to line up at all and I have a picture comparing something that fits in the stacker to something that doesnt (the cooldrive). I would like to know if anyone has fit it into the stacker because it has different holes for screwing stuff in . most cases leave more room for different screw configs the cm only has small holes for only 1 type of screw config and it doesnt seem to fit. Where that big screw is. is where the holes for the cooldrive are.

coold1.JPG

coold2.JPG

coold3.JPG

Thanks for all the help attempts guys :)

oinkypig    0

Wow... that really sticks out a lot, some reviews did mention it sticking out

But yours really looks bad

http://www.datafuse.net/cooldrive4.php

My casing has sliding rubber rail which snap on (screwless design).

So I can select how much it sticks into/out of the casing.

You circled my problem correctly, the fan wires are sticking out and if one is not careful, you tend to damage it.

Ron, yep... unfortunately I got no more sensor(s) to attached for the CPU... so it beeps all it likes and disturbs my neighbours.....

BigBadBns, you want to send me a sensor(s) or a Cooldrive ??><!--%20s:lol:%20--> PM?