Sign in to follow this  
ID

Sleeving your wires!

ID    0
It comes with a female de-molex tool btw.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm definately going to buy some EZ-Grip molex connectors when I pick up the sleeving kit tommorow.

zerospace    0

I would also advise using a GOOD ATX pin remover -- the one that FrozenCPU.com carries works really well. I tried using a cheapie one and I broke it within 5 minutes... then I spend the rest of the time removing the ATX pins with a sewing needle and a pair of needlenose pliers... I highly DON'T recommend you do it that way! :P

ID    0
I would also advise using a GOOD ATX pin remover -- the one that FrozenCPU.com carries works really well. I tried using a cheapie one and I broke it within 5 minutes... then I spend the rest of the time removing the ATX pins with a sewing needle and a pair of needlenose pliers... I highly DON'T recommend you do it that way! :P

I wish I had an ATX pin remover, but I don't! I'm going to be doing the sleeving job tomorrow (with some help from a couple other guys). I really don't want to hold up the project while I wait for the tool to arrive. I think it might be okay though; I found a nice How-To that was linked in a previous thread: http://www.frozencpu.com/howto_detail.html?mv_arg=43

Luckily, I DO have some small scissors and a mini-screwdriver!

Like bronney said, you need to control your strength! Using brute force on hardware is no good, even if it's with a sewing needle. :D

PSiBeR    0

I bought the Vantec Cable Sleeving kit (black) back like 2 weeks ago. Day after I got it, I was attempting to sleeve my brand new CM Real Power 450W, without any tools to remove the molex, I spent nearly an hour just sleeving the HCI cable, I was taping the wires and sleeving over without removing the connector on the HCI.

After I finished sleeving the HCI cable, and without using the heatshrink I said F**k it, I'm not doing this anymore.

I then realized that I needed a Molex remover tool. Why didn't Vantec include it??

The package is sitting under my bed for nearly 3 weeks now, waiting for Reading Week, so I can start sleeving it hopefully.

I paid $17 CDN for this, and expect my to have tools ready for this?? :twisted:

ID    0

Well, its time to power down the system for tomorrow's job. I'm going to let the juice in the PSU's capacitators drain overnight.

If you don't see me posting for awhile, it means things have gone bad and I've likely fried my system! :shock:

Thanks for all the input guys, wish me luck!!