Sign in to follow this  
ID

Sleeving your wires!

ID    0

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing a sleeving kit (from Vantec) this weekend and installing it to finally finish off my rig. I'm happy with everything else here, and sleeving the wires is the last thing I'd like to do. The only problem is, I've never done this before. With previous systems, I was able to tuck away and tie down most of the wiring, but after an evening of figeting around, it's become apparent that it just won't work this time around. I'm quite nervous over the prospect of sleeving this system: there are A LOT of redundant wiring and molex connectors that I have to sort through (I wasn't the one who wired the system :x ). I suppose much of this thread is aimed at quelling my anxiety, so please bare with me!

I would appreciate some advice from people (who have successfully sleeved their systems) on a couple of points:

• 1. How long did it take you to completely sleeve all of your wiring? How long did you think it would take?
    2. What aspect of sleeving gave you the most trouble? How were you able to solve the problem?
    3. Finally, was there anything in particular you did that you found helped you out the most while you were working on the wiring?

Again, any help will be much appreciated. I'm using a couple of guides posted in a previous thread as reference, but any extra input would be great. Thanks! :D

bronney    0

I cheated sleeving and bought spiral sleeves so I don't have to de-molex.

But one thing I found really useful when sleeving is before you sleeve, hold both molexes and twist the wire group 20+ times until they're tightly twisted.

That way the group will becomes a cylinder when you sleeve and should not kink out when you bend them and it makes sleeving a breeze.

I imagine the vantec kit should included a de-molex tool? Both male and female right?

ID    0
I cheated sleeving and bought spiral sleeves so I don't have to de-molex.

But one thing I found really useful when sleeving is before you sleeve, hold both molexes and twist the wire group 20+ times until they're tightly twisted.

That way the group will becomes a cylinder when you sleeve and should not kink out when you bend them and it makes sleeving a breeze.

I imagine the vantec kit should included a de-molex tool? Both male and female right?

Good advice, no doubt. Thanks!

You know, you'd think the Vantec kit would come with a tool, but no, it doesn't. It's unfortunate, but at least it keeps the price down. I'm just gonna use a small screwdriver.

bronney    0

be real careful when you tweak the back hooks. I managed to break a couple WITH the tool even. And you might need to have space pins ready incase you break some.

ninuhadida    0

if wanna do a good sleeving job, you need sleeves, heatshrink, molex tools, hair dryer (to shrink the heat shrink) and a cigaretter lighter (to burn the end s of the sleeves, so they don't fray (is that the word?)

Infinity    0

Took me about an hour each to do mine.

What I found useful was to use a peice of pvc-u tubing to slide over the wires, then slide the sleeving over the tube, then slide out the tube. It makes getting the sleeving over the molex pins a lot easier since they don't get snagged up :)

merovingian    0
Took me about an hour each to do mine.

What I found useful was to use a peice of pvc-u tubing to slide over the wires, then slide the sleeving over the tube, then slide out the tube. It makes getting the sleeving over the molex pins a lot easier since they don't get snagged up :)

Nice thinking!

i did this on an older power supply,

took a very long time, but it was worth it.

Here are my tips:

1.)Make sure you let the braid go right into the power supply (looks neeter) - BUT BE CAREFULL, power supplys have enough power in them to kill you, even after they have been off for a week!

2.)Cut the braid with a HOT KNIFE or ROPE CUTTER only!!! (VERY IMPORTANT!) don't use scissors or a cold knife, as the braid will split and ruin. When you cut it with a hot knife, it kinda seals the edges and keeps it together

3.)When you terminate the ends of the braid (before a molex) put a cable tie around the end of the braid, then cover that in the heatsrink tube (only need about 1 and a half Centermeters) and heat it with a Hair Dryer (Dont use a lighter, or you might singe your wires and melt the molex)

4.)Buy some Vantec Molex replacements (avalible in different colours) as they also have grips (makes it easyer to disconnect the molex from hard drives etc, with tight connectors)

5.)Lable your cables before taking the molex off!!!

6.)Get the proper tools for the job, dont go using pins to take molex off!

Hope this helps.

ID    0

These tips are great guys, keep em coming!

I'll have plenty of spare Molex connectors in case I break any of those pins. Like I said, there already are tons of redundant connectors here to begin with.

The tip with the PVC-U tubing is great, I would have never thought of that myself.

I noticed that the shop where I'm going sells Vantec molex connectors, but I wasn't planning on buying any. I think maybe I will now.

Thanks for the advice, Infinity, ninuhadida, bronney, and urbangangsta101. :)

bronney    0

Sorry to keep this on and on hehe but those Vantec EZ-Grip molex connectors are about the best accessories I've ever bought for the computer. It comes with a female de-molex tool btw.

Super easy to connect and disconnect yet tight. No more sore thumbs, and no more bloody knuckles when unplugging hdd's power and ended up hitting your hand on the soundcard's PCB corner.

YAY!