Sign in to follow this  
Kahobi

Aquagate and running multiple OSs'

Grump    0
Though I would like to get some real experence with macs, my interestes lie in more in unix like enviroments.

Mac's OS X is UNIX based.

Grump

Kahobi    0

I thought the Mac OS uses the Linux kernel? They would be paying SCO big bucks to pump out home computers if they do use the Unix kernel.

As for the Virtual PC, currently I am just running Windows XP on my main....and Win98/MS-DOS on the space heater.

Kahobi    0

Ah well. wont be buing that anytime soon then...I personaly rather dislike SCO, and dont want to support them.

Kahobi    0

No, Linux uses the Linux kernel. It has alot in common with the Unix kernel though. Right now there is a rather large lawsuit that is about weather or not there is copyrighted Unix code in Linux. Unix Kernel is copyrighted, Linux is under the GNU General Public License. In otherwords, its open source. Unix is not.

http://www.gnu.org/ for info on the GPL and open source.

Grump    0

I'm sorry, I should have said, "Both Linux and OS X use Unix for their core." That is a statement made in Microsoft vs. The Competition (June 2004, PC Today).

Grump

Kahobi    0

More accuretly, Unix Like. Linux is not Unix. If PC Today said that they have either been mis quoted or something because it is incorrect. There has been Unix code in Linux components, but those bits were made for public use long ago.

Mike Chang    0
I plan to run a machine with XP, two to three distros of Linux, one of the BSDs, and possibly Solaris (For teaching myself them if your wondering WTF I'm doing). Any forseeable problems with the Aquagate and the absurd varity of OSs'? Idealy I would like to use the Aquagate with out it interacting with any OS at all. Any thoughts?

Kahobi

Dear sir,

Aquagate can be installed on three kinds of CPU, k8,k7 and p4.

Not depends on the OS system.

Mike Chang