Sign in to follow this  
dab3580

CM Stacker problem - can't fit graphics card

Wacft    0

i totally understand your frustration, but you have to understand the stacker came out before pci-e so its not cm's fault, but about the screw, i dont screw either one in on my comp, the only reason i could see for actually needing them is if your comp is on a rollercoaster, lol. sorry man. also you might be able to send it back to where you got it and wait for the new stackers which i can gaurantee will be pci-e friendly.

dab3580    0

Thanks guys.

I was down at PC World today and I had a look at some other cases (just to look at the size of the slots).

We measured about 4 and they all had bigger slots than the Stacker. A couple of cases by Jeantech (Apollo and Aurora) had slots about 5mm longer. Cooler Master's own Cavalier had slots a couple of mm longer, which I think would just about be good enough, so we know that they know how to get it right.

What frustrates my dad most of all is the idea that if we only have one side of the connector secured there is a possibility (no matter how small) that somehow we could strain the connector, and he hates the idea of potentially straining a £319 graphics card for the sake of a poor case design. I agree.

I'm very disappointed and I hope my previous post didn't show too much anger or frustration, but I just hope that Cooler Master will see this and do something about it.

And wacft, it's been 2 years since we started looking to get a computer. It's been 2 years of "Look at that, that will be worth waiting a few months for". Every time we settled on a specification something else came along to wait for, so I'm tired of waiting (especially seeing as we have a pile of components that are waiting for a home). If the Stacker does have to go, we'll go back to looking at either the Antec P160 or what up until recently was the SavRow SR-71 Blackbird (now Akasa Eclipse 62). Both have dual 120mm fans and the like so they're both good.

Thanks anyway.

David.

Wacft    0

And wacft, it's been 2 years since we started looking to get a computer. It's been 2 years of "Look at that, that will be worth waiting a few months for". Every time we settled on a specification something else came along to wait for, so I'm tired of waiting (especially seeing as we have a pile of components that are waiting for a home). If the Stacker does have to go, we'll go back to looking at either the Antec P160 or what up until recently was the SavRow SR-71 Blackbird (now Akasa Eclipse 62). Both have dual 120mm fans and the like so they're both good.

Thanks anyway.

David.

lol, dawg tell me about it, thats the story for anyone who builds computers.

dropper    0

Just a quick and dirty idea, just get a Dremmel and notch out the bottom. I know it should be longer, but this way you would get to use a great case and that card. Since it is in the back, no one would ever see it. I think you could also use a nibbler to extend the opening.

Keith

Thank you for the images. I have saved it and sent it to HQ and Ron in Europe. Ron will contact you shortly and I'm awaiting HQ answer to it.

zerospace    0
Just a quick and dirty idea, just get a Dremmel and notch out the bottom. I know it should be longer, but this way you would get to use a great case and that card. Since it is in the back, no one would ever see it. I think you could also use a nibbler to extend the opening.

Keith

One of these options is exactly what I would do -- I had to do something similar with my Lian Li case -- except that it wasn't the length of the opening on the PCI slot, but the thickness of the slot covers -- one of my add-on cards had a much thicker plate & wouldn't fit no matter what I did, so I had to shave it down at the end until it fit.

Wacft    0

Keith

One of these options is exactly what I would do -- I had to do something similar with my Lian Li case -- except that it wasn't the length of the opening on the PCI slot, but the thickness of the slot covers -- one of my add-on cards had a much thicker plate & wouldn't fit no matter what I did, so I had to shave it down at the end until it fit.

yeah those are good ideas but dont you guys think a little unecessary and messy "have to take everything out of comp to prevent metal shavings on components" considering it can be solved by taking a screw out?

zerospace    0

wacft -- I can't argue with you there -- I was just pointing out what I would probably do... not to mention the fact that I can't blame him for not wanting to cut the case or card at all just to fit something that's pretty standard.