Sign in to follow this  
dab3580

CM Stacker problem - can't fit graphics card

Mr. Miyagi    2

I wonder if this happens to all the PCI-E cards or just the ATi PCI-E cards. The other post didn't say. I would try what wacft said or take a Dremel to it.

aimbie    0

I have a CMStacker and the Asus A8NSLI-Deluxe with 2 6800 Ultra's. I had the same problem. I just took a knife and shaved a little of the plastic of the DVI connector. Now it fits fine.

This is cause by the Asus motherboard is using all 7 slots, most motherboards only use 6 of the slots leaving the 7th at the top vacant, thereby giving lots of room. (This is because they try to leave more space to give better cooling in the SLI configuration.) Cooler Master should consider modifying the case to correct this.

The better solution for you since you only have a single card is to put it in the lower slot. With 2 card I have no choice but use the top slot.

Wacft    0
I have a CMStacker and the Asus A8NSLI-Deluxe with 2 6800 Ultra's. I had the same problem. I just took a knife and shaved a little of the plastic of the DVI connector. Now it fits fine.

This is cause by the Asus motherboard is using all 7 slots, most motherboards only use 6 of the slots leaving the 7th at the top vacant, thereby giving lots of room. (This is because they try to leave more space to give better cooling in the SLI configuration.) Cooler Master should consider modifying the case to correct this.

The better solution for you since you only have a single card is to put it in the lower slot. With 2 card I have no choice but use the top slot.

from picture though the thing that is stoping it is the screw not the actuall dvi port.

aimbie    0

Yes, it is only the top card with the problem.

It is the screw that is in the way of the DVI cord connector making it so you can't get the connector on the video card. You can either do something with the screw or shave the connector as I did.

Wacft    0
Yes, it is only the top card with the problem.

It is the screw that is in the way of the DVI cord connector making it so you can't get the connector on the video card. You can either do something with the screw or shave the connector as I did.

im sorry i dont see how shaving the connector is going to make the video card fit into the slot when something on the video card "the screw" is stoping it.

aimbie    0

I now see that we are talking about two separate problems.

The problem in the photo, with the ATI card, is that the card is to wide or off center, with the dual dvi, to fit in the slot. This is either an ATI problem or that particular card is off center, it hard to tell in the photo.

My Nvidia cards fit fine in the slot. But, once you get them in the slot the two rivets in the lip in the case just above the dvi port on the video card (see the photo) prevents you from connecting the dvi port on the cord to your monitor. This is where you have to shave the cord connector once you get your card into that top slot. These rivets are only on the side of the primary connector on my card. If you have dual dvi inputs the second one on the other side of the card is not obstructed.

Sorry for my confusion. I assume once he gets his ATI card in the slot he will have the additional problem of connecting his monitor to it also.

dab3580    0

Thanks Mr. Miyagi for getting the pictues up.

Wacft, thanks for the e-mail, your idea is similar to one of ours.

aimbie, I might have misunderstood your point but the card won't fit in any slot because they are all the same length. Due to the DVI port on the card it needs a slot longer than any that the Stacker offer. The second graphics slot (black one) on the A8N is a 1x PCI-E slot in single card mode, and so can't take a graphics card unless dual card mode is selected.

We thought originally of 3 solutions:

1. Remove the screw hole thingy. My dad wasn't very happy with that though, he really isn't keen on only having one side of the connector secured.

2. Get someone who knows what they're doing to cut the slots.

3. Have Cooler Master send us a replacement panel with longer slots.

Option 3 is our preferred choice, both of the others would work but would not be ideal/easy. The first option might be what we have to do though, there are 2 DVI connectors on the card and we only have 1 monitor after all (although the manual doesn't say which one, if any, is the primary one).

The real problem with option 1 is that it limits us for the future. As I said in my original post, the GAME/MIDI port that came as an extra connector with our motherboard is the same, so clearly this isn't a problem restricted just to the graphics card. This means that we would have to be careful about what cards we buy when upgrading/expanding.

For a case that sells itself on extensibility, this is highly disappointing. Cooler Master, I hope you're listening, those blanking panels would easily cover a slot that was 5mm or so longer and that would eliminate this problem. I really do hope you consider this in future designs.

My dad is also after Cooler Master because of the cables they supplied (he has e-mailed them). The one that goes from the front Firewire port is 66 cm long (same as the USB cables) and is about 60 cm away from the port on the motherboard (which is right in the corner). It can only just get in, but it's a stretch. However, with the sound card and DVD drive in place, the cable can't go straight across and so is at least 4 inches too short. The USB ports on the motherboard are only a few inches nearer the front of the case than the Firewire, and therefore have the same problem. And no, we don't really want to move the panel on the front of the case because it's best for us at the top. We shouldn't even have to consider lowering that panel considering that Cooler Master make a big deal on the box about the design letting you use the case 'the way you want it'.

Cooler Master, please understand that the slots on the back need to be long enough for all connectors on all cards, and the cables inside have to be long enough to get comfortably to anywhere on the motherboard. The Stacker is a superb case other than those 2 issues, but I can't understand how the designers can have been so busy making all these clever and attractive design innovations that they ended up forgetting about getting the basics right. That being said, I am certain (for now) that we'll find a way around the problems, it's too good a case to give up on over issues like these.

David.

Mr. Miyagi    2

You will be fine with only one screw, but I see your points. I usually don't even have mine screwed in and it never comes loose.