Sign in to follow this  
dab3580

CM Stacker problem - can't fit graphics card

Mr. Miyagi    2

You're right, 2x 6800 GTs or Ultras will beat a X850, but only in SLi supported games. The X850 will beat the Ultra in most of the games (except games based on the Doom III engine) You might want to wait for Bryant (bigbadbns) to reply because he had an SLi setup in a Stacker.

Wacft    0
since money is no object for you obviously. I woulda either went with dual 6800 GT's or Ultras. Both will be faster than the X850 ;)

lets not ignore what he previously typed just to sport your fav cards, hes already explained he went towards versatility/performance instead of just performance. also id really like to see a pic of this seeing as it is a really weird problem that ive never even heard of before.

btw you can email me the pics and ill post them.

Mr. Miyagi    2

Yeah, you could email them to me and I could also host them. Hopefully you will be able to use your sister's laptop...

dab3580    0

First things first, thanks very much for the replies so far.

My dad went to the shops today with the memory card and got the photos put on a CD, so we didn't need my sister after all. So Mr. Miyagi and wacft, I'll e-mail the photos to the both of you since you offered and I don't really know how to put them up otherwise. I'll do that in the next 20-30 minutes (probably).

You're right, 2x 6800 GTs or Ultras will beat a X850, but only in SLi supported games. The X850 will beat the Ultra in most of the games (except games based on the Doom III engine) You might want to wait for Bryant (bigbadbns) to reply because he had an SLi setup in a Stacker.

When I made the reply about our choice of graphics card I was thinking about the motherboard review I saw in Custom PC which didn't talk about the performance of dual 6800 GT's. However, my problem with 2 6800 GT's is that they would be much more expensive then an X850 (we do really have a limit). The other problem is that we wouldn't really want to upgrade after the initial build for a couple of years. If we got 1 6800 GT now (2 would be too much), by the time we'd be ready to upgrade it would be more economical and better for performance just to replace the card with whatever is going to be around at the time, rather than add a second 6800 GT. After all, we will be a generation or 2 ahead by then.

As for 6800 Ultras, NO WAY. The noise! The power consumption! The fact that due to the size and heat they would knock out pretty much all but 1 PCI slot, meaning that they would be unacceptably restrictive.

Anyway, the photos will be on the way soon. I'm off to sort them out.

Thanks.

David.

Mr. Miyagi    2

Good points you have there, but in a couple of months, the 6800GT will be priced cheaper. How much did you get the X850XT-PE for? I'll be waiting for the pics. :wink:

dab3580    0

I've just been preparing the photos (by adding a couple of arrows), but the computer crashed causing a very small delay.

I got the X850XT PE for £319 from Komplett. Most high end cards are nearer the £400 mark. For £319, I'd only just be able to get 2 6600 GT's for that, so 6800 GT's would be a lot more.

Unless it crashes again, I'll be done soon with the photos.

David.

dab3580    0

OK. Mr. Miyagi and wacft, I've finally sent the photos.

I had multiple crashes and problems with the scratch disk being full. I also had problems with the file size so I reduced them, but hopefully not too much.

It took much longer than I expected, but at least it's done now.

David.