Sign in to follow this  
dab3580

CM Stacker problem - can't fit graphics card

dab3580    0

Hi.

For reference:

Motherboard: Asus-A8N SLI Deluxe

Graphics Card: Sapphire X850XT PE

We got a Stacker last week for our new PC and we tried to start putting the components into the case last night. After installing the CPU and memory on to the motherboard we screwed the stand-offs into the tray in the case. The motherboard went in fine, with the rear panel connectors (USB, etc...) lining up perfectly with the I/O shield that Asus had supplied.

When we tried to install the graphics card, we found that the slots in the back of the case were not long enough! They need to be longer by about 3 to 5mm or the graphics card will not fit.

Also, we have a GAME/MIDI port connector that comes as an extra with the motherboard that also will not fit because of the same problem!

Why have Coolermaster made a case like this? I was very impressed with the case before, but this makes it useless.

I know my dad plans to contact Coolermaster (probably by e-mail) because he really isn't happy. He knows that the motherboard area is made up of lots of bits and would ideally like Coolermaster to supply a replacement panel with longer slots.

I would like to know if anyone here has got any experience of any similar problems. I would also like to know (most of all) what the potential solutions are.

Thanks.

David.

Wacft    0

if you could take some pictures it would help us better understand you dilema.

dab3580    0
unscrew the mobo screws partially and push it forward a bit to make space.

Moving the motherboard wouldn't make any difference. The graphics card will not, because of the DVI connections on the back, physically fit in the case. We can't get it low enough to get it in the motherboard.

You know the metal plates over the slots where the PCI cards poke out the back of the case? You know the bit of the metal plate furthest from the motherboard where the metal plates bend at 90 degrees, which is where they screw in? Well, we can't screw in the graphics card (to secure it in) because it sits about 2mm above that and simply won't go further in.

This is because the slots, at the end nearest the motherboard, are not long enough to accommodate the DVI ports on the graphics card.

We've measured the slots - from the bit where the plate bends at 90 degrees to the end near the motherboard is 99mm. The DVI connectors require a slot 100.5mm long (102 or 103mm if you include some clearance) from the bit where the plate bends at 90 degrees.

When we try to slot the graphics card in, it goes towards the motherboard. It gets closer and closer to the motherboard until it meets it and just begins to enter it's PCI-Express port.

And then the DVI connection on the back of the card hits the metal of the slot on the rear of the case and will go no further. The computer won't work with the graphics card at an angle and we can't screw it in either because it's not far enough into the case. As I said in my first post, the Asus GAME/MIDI port is the same.

if you could take some pictures it would help us better understand you dilema.

Slight problem there. The computer this is meant to replace is a Pentium 1 (133MHz) on Windows 95 with no USB. We've got a digital camera but we can't get the photos on to our computer. It would take some time but the one way we could is if I could get my sister to put them on to her laptop and e-mail them to me. To be honest, I still wouldn't be sure how to get them on to here (I'm very inexperienced with internet forums), which is why I've tried a more detailed explanation above. If the above explanation doesn't make it clearer then I'll see what I can do about a photo.

Lastly, I just want to point out that I'm not the only one. In the sticky thread called 'Official CM STACKER Forum! Post All Stackers here :)' on PAGE 7 (I have included all relevant quotes):

(Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:14 am) someone called Sander5 said:

Hey guys,

I have small problem with my new Stacker (which is great)

The PCI holes on the back of the case arent big enough for my GFX-card. As a result, it does not fit in it's PCI-E slot 100% and from time to time the screen stays black because it's not inserted good enough.

Is this a common problem, maybe something that can be fixed in the future.

Will have to see what I can do about it in the weekend, maybe cut a part out

Mindless Moron replied:

what motherboard is it?

Sander5 said:

I have a Gigabyte K8NF-9

David.

dab3580    0

Hi

Are you sure you used the stand-off screws that came with the case?

Yes, the stand-offs that I used came with the case, but it's not the motherboard that's the problem.

Have you installed any other expansion cards in your case successfully?

The sound card fits perfectly. The reason being that the connections on the back don't rely on the slot on the rear of the case being that long.

I can assure you that the motherboard is perfectly installed and it is the case that is causing the problem.

I'll try one more small explanation, but if no one understands then I'll have to arrange something with my sister to get some pictures of the problem here (I took some photos earlier).

OK, look directly at the back of the case, the fan should be towards the right. Look at the slots the PCI cards poke out of. The left of these slots is the motherboard side, while the right is the side where the cards screw in on the inside of the case. The distance between the far right of these slots and the far left is 99mm. However, on our graphics card the furthest DVI connector ends 101.5mm away from the end that screws in, hence the slot isn't long enough to accept the card.

Like I said, the sound card has no such issues, so fits perfectly (yes, absolutely perfectly).

On another note, I've noticed another problem with the case - the Firewire and USB cables supplied with the case (about 66cm) are too short to reach the associated ports on the motherboard, or at least they will be once they have to go around the DVD drive and sound card. But the graphics card is the problem I want sorted first.

I hate to say it, especially after how good my first impressions were, but I'm really starting to go off this case.

David.

I have a simple question.

Why would you buy an A8N SLI, then go ahead and buy an ATI graphics card? What is the point of buying an SLI motherboard, if you have no intensions of running SLI? For that you shoulda went with a normal nForce 4 Ultra motherboard and saved some money while you were at it.

dab3580    0
Why would you buy an A8N SLI, then go ahead and buy an ATI graphics card?

Excuse me for being brief with each point here, but I'm in a rush. I could go into much more detail, I've considered the issue in depth.

For a start, from what I've seen, SLI boards aren't much more expensive.

Secondly, performance. I don't think 2 Nvidia cards would match the X850XT PE, with the exception of 2 6800 Ultras, which would be much better (I could be wrong about the 6800 Ultras being the only pairing that is equal or better, but I don't think so).

Thirdly, noise and power consumption. Any pairing of Nvidia cards will be noisy and consume lots of power. Considering the performance issue, I don't personally think they're worth it.

The big point:

Fourth, expansion. The A8N SLI board, in single card mode, has (remembering that the second graphics card slot works as a 1x PCI-E slot when in single card mode, as confirmed by the motherboard manual):

1 16xPCI-E

3 1xPCI-E (as above, 1 of these is the second graphics slot)

3 PCI

In this time of transition between PCI and PCI-E, it is (for me) important to have as many of each as possible. No other board can match the Asus A8N for that.

So, basically, we're paying for the flexibility. Not that any of this should stop the graphics card from fitting in the case though.

And anyway, X850XT PE, 2GB Ram, £200 (about US$370) for the case/Antec power supply, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro soundcard. Does this sound like a system that's based on a tight budget?

David.

since money is no object for you obviously. I woulda either went with dual 6800 GT's or Ultras. Both will be faster than the X850 ;)