RW Arnold

Fan setup for HAF XB EVO with NO water cooling.

RW Arnold    0

I am an analytical chemist turned teacher, and have used computers since the mid-70's (punched tape, punchcards, 5 1/4" floppy, 3 1/2" floppy, ZIP, CD/DVD, Flash Drive-it's been a long, fun road) but I am a newbie at building one! I am ready to build a non-gaming computer (well, maybe chess, Baldur's Gate, or Red Alert now and then) in a HAF XB EVO case, with a passive CPU cooler (I don't want a fan cooler vibrating ON the motherboard, and I fear Murphy's Law will apply to liquid cooling for me... I love the big XB EVO case with plenty of room for massive passive radiator and lots of fan options.....

I have all the parts: Intel i7-4970S to be cooled by a large passive CPU cooler (NoFan CR80EH), a Corsair RM450 PSU, a Gigabyte Graphics card (Z97X UD5H), 16 Gb of Corsair Dominator (2x8), the latest Samsung M2 SSD (500Gb) on the mobo, one ASUS optical drive, and a WD Black 2 Tb HD. I have a non-OEM Win 7 Pro DVD to install (I don't have a cell phone, either, although I am a ham operator), and I will be connecting a Dell P2715Q and a Unicomp replica of the best keyboard ever (the IBM M keyboard) w/USB, and a wireless mouse.

As you may know, the upper level of the case has two 120mm front fans (which I assume blow IN), a "hole" for a 120mm in back, and an open grille top which will mount a 200mm fan. The lower level has a PSU intake on the bottom, and two side by side 80mm fan holes. I am looking for opinions on what would be best for my setup. I have filters for all the fans, but I have not purchased a 200mm until I determine its usefulness. I just want to keep things as cool as possible with the least vibration, my fans don't need to light up, nor do my memory chips.

I am considering several fan setups (and I don't car that much about noise, I wear closed over-ear headphones a lot):

#1 Front CM fans blowing in, rear 120 mm blowing in, 2 80mm in bottom blowing in, no top fan.

#2 Front fans blowing in, rear 120 mm blowing in, top 200mm blowing in, 2 80mm blowing out.

#3 Turn side panels upside down; front fans blowing in, rear 120mm blowing in, a 200 in top exhaust, 80mm fans blowing in.

#4 Close the top w/plexiglass, turn side panels upside down, front fans in, 120mm back fan exhaust, 80mm fans blowing in.

#4.1 Close the top w/plexiglass, turn side panels upside down, front fans in, 120mm back fan blowing in, no 80 mm fans, or maybe 1 blowing in towards the drives.

#4.2 Close the top w/plexiglass, turn side panels upside down, front fans in, 120mm back fan blowing in, no 80 mm fans at all.

Most of my quandary is what to do with the top (open/closed, fan/nofan), and how to rig the two 80mm bottom fans (and I add, why are they so close together?  I think the open top is an invitation to dust; if I don't close it I know I will mod a plexiglass "roof" standing-off about 1" above the grill to keep dust out. The big grill openings in the side panels are dust welocming as well. I have not checked it out myself, but I have seen pics of the XB with the side panels inverted - that interests me, because I think I would get a more laminar flow through the top section right across that cooler (without outside turbulence from the side opening).

I hope my post isn't too long; I appreciate your informed thoughts!

Arnold

post-101777-0-69657000-1444862503_thumb.jpg

knud    123

You might need to experiment with various configs, but I believe this might give you the best thermal results:

2x 120mm front intake & 1x 120mm rear outtake. And put plexiglass top cover.

The 2x80mm fans are for the bottom section and most likely you won't need them with your current build.

To see what others build, please see this forum: http://www.overclock.net/t/1329750/official-cooler-master-haf-xb-club

snapper69    1

I would try to aim for a balanced or slightly positive pressure system, that way dust will not be drawn into your case through every available orifice.  You could try:

1) 2 x 120 mm fans at the front as intakes, 1 x 120 mm fan at the rear as exhaust and cover the top.

2) 2 x 120 mm fans at the front as intakes, 1 200mm fan on top, no fan in rear.

3) as 2) but with the rear fan as an intake (filtered of course).

RW Arnold    0

What about flipping the side panels upside down for smoother, filtered flow through the top section of the case?

I've seen pics of it, but has anyone tried it?

Rocky