scramblur .

compatibility issue with HYPER 212 EVO, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 & 1150 i7-4790k

scramblur .    0

Hi Folks,

Building a new PC with a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, 1150 i7-4790k, using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

I cannot get the Hyper 212 to fit.  Everything lines up right, but when it comes time to mount the heat sync, the mounting bracket's screws are not long enough to reach it's female counterpart on the motherboard.  I'm an IT professional with a team of people who do this and we are all confused on why this wont reach.

Has anyone played with this configuration?  I opened a ticket with cooler master and all they stated is that it's compatible.  

Looking for feedback before I move on.  

I should note that the stock cooling fan that came with the processor snapped right in.

I attached a picture.  You'll see the screw is not able to reach the female stand off. 

post-101491-0-01155000-1443462634_thumb.jpg

knud    123

Just to make sure: secure the screws in a X-pattern. (don't secure one angle all the way, but install/distribute them evenly)

Does that make any difference?

scramblur .    0

Unfortunately not.  I can get one screw to catch, but only by a 1/4 turn. Then the bracket mis-aligns and the other screws lift too high to even make contact.  I'm starting to believe I received the wrong bracket in the box, I don't know.  Frustrating.

knud    123

You need to use some force, there is bound to be some resistance. Can you try to use a bit more force? (But don't overdo it)

scramblur .    0

I originally tried installing it when assembling the machine.  Last night I tried with the motherboard fully mounted in the case, used a bit more force, played with the orientation and got it to work.  Chalk this one up to user error :-Q

Thanks for the help Bounty Hunter

knud    123

Glad you got it working now.

And you've learned something new as well :)