ANN

V1200 CABLING ISSUES, WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP PLEASE THANKS.

ANN    3

(Edit, let me say this first to start with, I was told by Coolermaster directly via email and on the telephone that the V1200 would be a 100% perfect replacement in every way for my old semi faulty Coolermaster 80 plus RS-A00-ESBA 1000w PSU "and my own personally custom built desktop PC system").

I am female, but very computer litrate and usually know what I am doing when building high spec Overclocked systems etc, so I may be female and blonde, but not your typical dumb blonde, lol. x (p.s, we all learn new things everyday, you do, I do, we all do).

Ok, first of all, I have just purchased a new V1200 Platinum direct from Cooler Master.

I am in the UK and we use 3 pin Wall plugs that plug into our mains electricity supply wall sockets here, I believe they are 230-240volt output, but the PSU cable cooler master sent with the V1200 is a euro 2 pin type.

Will my old coolermaster PSU mains cable be fine to use, (it was used for the 80 plus RS-A00-ESBA 1000w model) ??

Ok, lot more questions here, I hope someone can spare the time to read all this carefully and help me please thanks :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(there are attached images with this thread too for reference).
The V1200 user manual that comes with the V1200 is pretty much useless (my opinion) and its very difficult getting the answers and details I require on the internet too, so because of all these issues I list below it is stopping me from being able to fit/use my new V1200 at all, I wont even try until I know the answers to my questions as I am very unsure about these things.

Now, with these issues/questions I am just about to explain, this is partly down to me never having to swap out PSU's really as all through my life I have always bought/had the best ones, so that meant that very seldom a PSU would fail on me, more chance of me building a new PC before that even happend most of the time (in other words I dont have much experience at all with PSU's (and cables) apart from buying good PSU's), also these are "hopefully small issues" that are totally stopping me before I even try and do anything too, I would really appreciate some help here as I say, I am struggling to get help/answers on basic technical forums etc and people just keep telling me to contact Coolermaster again, so I am totally stuck so to speak :( , hope some people that have perfect technical knowledge on these things can help please.

If you look at my Motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe) and its Main EATX 12v power connections, there are two of them (see attached photos), you will see one is the standard 24 pin (and the 24 to 18 pin cable is included with the V1200 cable packs), so that's ok.

BUT, I have a BIG problem, the other main motherboard EATX 12v power connector socket  is "8 pin" this is used for extra power for overclocked systems like mines is (because I overclock my systems), this is what the other motherboard main power 8 pin EATX 12v connector is for on the motherboard as far as I am aware, anyway, on my motherboard as you can see (see attached photos), that other EATX 12v power connector is only 8 pin and not 10 pin like what is on the V1200 and "the V1200 didn't come with an EATX 12v power cable that is 10 pin to 8 pin" as required in my situation here, what should I do or did they forget about that cable ???

I need that 10 to 8 pin connected as my overclocks wont work and will make my system crash and blue screen all the time, you know what I mean ?  I really am a bit lost with this one. :( First that I have came across this situation yet as I have not built a new system for a few years.
(simply speaking, the V1200 doesnt come with the cable that will do that job for now that I can see anyway, I even looked at the 8 pin pci-e ones thinking they might do it, but no, the shapes of each pin are different from required if you look at attachments etc).

(Please also remember, my old faulty 'Coolermaster 80 plus RS-A00-ESBA 1000w PSU' has all its main power cables that go to the motherboard already hardwired from inside of the PSU "but" the V1200 doesn't, its totally different obviously), I have already looked through the V1200 cable bags that came with the V1200 lots of times but there is definitely no 10pin to 8 pin EATX 12v cable which I am pretty positive I require.

List of my main harware probably makes this a lot easier for you to understand.

MOTHERBOARD : ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe (see attached picture and this web link shows the motherboard and all connections required)
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_DELUXE/specifications/

CPU: Intel i7 3770k (overclocked)

Main Cooling: Corsair H100 (I have the original CM HAF 932 case fans too)
http://www.corsair.com/en/hydro-series-h100-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Graphics: AMD HD 6990 (see attached photo)
(this Graphics Card requires 2 x 8 pin PCI-e connections),

Is there a workaround for fixing this graphics card cable issue maybe ??

Do I just use two sets of the 6 to 8 pin PCI-e cables that came with the V1200 for this ??, I wonder ??? 

I see a bunch of them in the bags, but I am not sure, I am thinking If I use 2 x 6 pin to 8 pin cables then my graphics card will lose power, will it ?? Or is there another correct way ???, please tell A.S.A.P thanks.

I even see that I could (in theory) use one 6 pin pci-e from the PSU and use the two daisey chained 8 pin connectors on the same cable to plug into both my ports on my graphics card, but I am gussing this would also have a huge drop on the voltage to the Graphics card and a Huge Drain on that one 6 pin pci-e port on the PSU too, is that correct ???

I dont know, thats why I need as much help as possible.

PSU: COOLERMASTER V1200 PLATINUM http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/enthusiast-v-series/v1200/

Lastly I think for now, what the heck are the "2 x '8 pin CPU' connectors" for on the V1200 ?? I have tried and tried but I just cant seem to find the answer to this either, I dont think there is anything on my motherboard for these connectors to use those that I can see (see attached photos), if my motherboard doesn't/wont use them then what exactly are they for ??, I was wondering about them as soon as I seen them, look unusual to me anyway, please let me know about everything if you can please thanks for taking the time to read, it really is appreciated very much indeed :)

Look forward to hearing from some people soon as possible as this has been delaying me from even trying to fit my new V1200 :(

Thank you all, xx

post-100036-0-40932800-1438045038_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-20769100-1438045066_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-08982800-1438045106_thumb.jpg

ANN    3

I had a fair idea that I possibly had a cable or two missing, I was correct in thinking that.

However, I have been in contact with Coolermaster directly (Ruud in the Netherlands) via email and it was his email he sent me a couple of days ago that then confirmed this and made me realise there was missing cables after all, the V1200 was sent with missing cables and I don't just mean the UK mains wall cable either.

Now though, for the past two days he wont respond to my emails that tell him about it, wow !! , this is a painstaking task and I still have not got the V1200 fitted because of this as it should have came with all the cables, that's what Ruud from Coolermaster  confirmed too, but now he wont reply to the emails :(

What the heck is someone supposed to do when cables are missing and Coolermaster wont reply to my emails yet they did before just days ago ??

That's a full week (7 days) I have had this PSU now and its still sitting here unfitted :( 

Anyone help please ?

ANN    3

Ok, he just replied now at approx mid-day UK time (Friday 31st July) and said the missing cables will be posted out today, so that's good, just hope they all come quick and he sends the correct ones :)  Thanks to whoever helped me :)

ANN    3

edit: would delete this edited post here but don't see any options that allow that, anyway, no big deal.

ANN    3

Ok, the missing cables eventually arrived today Tuesday 4th August.

I instantly have had a good look and these cables do not look correct to me, if you look closely at the plastic pin holes on both the cables and socket then you will see the difference in the shapes of the pins some are square shaped and some have rounded corners, that's obviously for a reason, not for nothing.

Now, I know with certain things that its not so dangerous to chance your luck with connections but with these ones it can be extremely dangerous as far as I am aware. 

Ok, the instructions from Coolermaster was to plug the 2 x 4 pin EATX 12V CPU mainboard connectors into the mainboard cpu 8 pin EATX 12v socket side by side, but there is no way possible that I can see these fitting, its too risky to chance my luck with, I could blow the motherboard and/or CPU too, who knows.

Anyways, here are some photos and I really hope someone can help me please thanks.

post-100036-0-81397800-1438719189_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-29825800-1438719216_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-52635800-1438719341_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-43903600-1438719359_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-63127000-1438719380_thumb.jpg

post-100036-0-05835000-1438719394_thumb.jpg

ANN    3

So if you didn't quite understand that, look at the last photo, that's the 2 x 4 pin CPU EATX 12v connectors that coolermaster instructed me to plug into my mainboard CPU EATX 12v socket which I use as I overclock my system, so I need this connection.

They said that both those 4 pin connectors should fit side by side into the 8 pin mainboard CPU EATX 12v socket as the picture image from them that's also included shows you (using the red markings), but the square shapes and rounded ones don't match correctly that I can and you will see if you have a look, might make sense to someone, I just cant figure it out :(

ANN    3

does anyone actually use these forums or look at their private messages ??? lol, I'm wondering......hmmmm.

I keep trying to get emails through to Ruud Jacobs in the Netherlands shop/store/outlet too and when he does eventually get my emails its days and days later and then it takes even more days to a week if I need a part sent out just like I have already done.

I am still sitting here weeks later after paying for a new V1200 PSU purchased direct from Coolermaster in the Netherlands weeks ago and I still have not got any help on this thread at all which to me is really strange for any forum, but I look around the forum and hardly anyone at all gets an answer to their questions either, so its not just me, but in that case, what is the point in this forum really ?

I sent another email to Ruud Jacobs in the Netherlands earlier this evening Tuesday 4th August 2015 regarding still having problems with missing cables etc, I really do hope he gets the email tomorrow Wednesday and acts on it as he is generally a great guy when he does reply, usually takes ages though and as I say, in the meantime I am sitting here like an idiot waiting and waiting.

Doesn't look like anybody on the forum here if going to help me on this thread, I think I managed to get a "hello" on my very first post when I joined, apart from that, nothing, doesn't seem very good :((especially when I'm the one spending a lot of money on their stuff).

ajfaull    1

Ann,

I have a similar board to yours and in my experience, they have made the whole process pretty forgiving. If something is capable of binning a component, it will be nearly impossible to plug the Molex style connectors into the sockets.  Yes those two ends marked CPU do fit into my CPU 12V on the Motherboard (The "clippie things" together in the middle).   If you look on the power supply legend you'll see the top two 8-pin sockets on the PS unit are for CPU, but you will only be utilizing one of them.

The diagram is correct for the Video power as well, a 6 pin PCI-E power supply connector is plenty of power for an 8 pin video power connector. I'm not always on the forum here, but I'm checking out a product I have in for RMA and communicating with a couple of other people on problems, so I'll be in and checking a couple of times a day probably for the next few days if you have any other questions.

Also, before you get to aggravated with this board, it is primarily a user to user forum. The moderators from Cooler Master to drop by on occasion but they don't always chime in. They do at times, other times they just kind of go lurking.

• Upvote 1

ANN    3

how can the 2 x 4 pin cpu eatx 12v power connectors work though properly ? (into the 8 pin mainboard socket side by side ?) when they are totally the wrong shape, one of them looks like it fits perfect but the other has four round edge pins and that's not the shape the motherboard is asking for, its supposed to be dangerous for the computer and I guess your house burning down too, you never know.

(Remember though, there are only certain pins actually carry voltage, the others are just grounds/earths, its the ones that deliver the extra power that really need to be in the correct place to make the hardware work at its best especially if you overclock the system like me)

Could you explain please some more ?, I really do appreciate your comment @Andrew Faull , no one else has even made an attempt, so yes, thank you so much.

Please look at the photos again, P.s, I am not interested in the other hardware cables now, only the 8 pin EATX 12v CPU one on my motherboard, that's all, but there is just no way those 2x4 pin cpu cables should fit if you go by the book and look at the photos, it seems totally crazy , are you saying that I just go ahead and bang them right in there even though its not physically correct ??

If its ok then its ok, that's fine, its just that I have read a lot of stuff on the internet that says "you should not feed an 8 pin cpu eatx 12v motherboard socket with 1 x 4 pin or you will end up frying something".

If you scroll down this page here on this link for example you will see it explains it in great detail >>>>>  http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Thanks again my friend.

p.p.s , I overclock my system too, so this connection must be fully powered properly.

ANN    3

Ok, I had it confirmed today with the actual person in Coolermaster that sold me the unit (Ruud from the Netherlands) that the Cables are fine to plug in even though they are not the identical shapes so long as they slip in and out.

So if anything happens then its on Coolermasters shoulders and their responsibility.

Must be a lot of people like me across the world that asks the same questions that I have been asking though as it is rather deceiving indeed.