Eric Nagi

Nepton 240m Pump Rattle/Noise/Ticking

Eric Nagi    0

Hello all! First post here!

Main question I have is this: Is this normal, do these coolers just have a break in period? 

I recently bought a CM Nepton 240M and installed it on my new build on Saturday. Unfortunately, as soon as I turned the machine on for the first time, the pump started to make a rattling noise. It was constant, and not loud, but pretty annoying if you payed attention to it. To give you an idea of how loud it was, the case fans (Fractal Design Define R5) would drown out the sound of the pump rattle when the computer was under load. So not very loud, but constant.

I read that it could be an air bubble, so I let the computer run for a while, and Sunday night I let it run all night while I downloaded a few Steam games. I woke up, and the rattle was no longer constant, but intermittent. You could hear the rattle every 10 seconds or so for a few seconds, but also you could hear a new noise, a mid-high pitched whining from the pump. I figured, even if the air bubble had passed, the fact that its whining now makes me want to return it. So I just got back from Microcenter, where I swapped out the pump for a new one.

I installed the new system, and boom. More rattle. 

For more information, the thing cools like a dream. The fans are completely silent, and the CPU didn't go above 33 degrees C when I did the 3DMark system tests. So cools great on my 5820k. 

I have the fans run into a splitter going into the CPU_FAN header and I had the old pump plugged up to the CPU_OPT header before, but the new one is now hooked up directly to the power supply by a molex adapter. I heard its best for the pump to be running at full speed anyways.

Right now I have the front of the computer tilted up on some books in case it is an air bubble so that the barbs on the pump are the highest point. I'm gonna let it run for a few days and see how that goes. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like you done everything right and you need to return the cooler, I suspected my cooler (That I doubt I will ever see again as I sent it to cooler master on a RMA over 3 weeks ago) of being only half filled as was a lot lighter than one I compared it to in a shop, and when you moved the rad upside down it you could hear the water moving down the rad so there must of been a lot of air in there, The point is that I had the same problem as you but more intermediate they must be trying to save money on saving on coolant and my box stated (factory filled and tested for years free maintenance) bollox lol.

Eric Nagi    0

I'm starting to come upon that conclusion.

When I went to Microcenter to get the swap for this one, I actually bought an air cooler, just in case I had the same rattling problem in the new one, so that I could have something cooling the CPU while I try and bleed the air out of the pump.

I let the computer run for 30 hours with no change in pump noise, and this morning I took the pump off the CPU and ran it, when the pump is in one certain position its silent. But as soon as you move it to any other position it rattles like :), and if its air, its not bleeding out. It's been sitting like this for several hours now.

I think theres just too much air in the system for it to bleed, and I need YET ANOTHER one... I hate to be negative, but does nobody test these things when they leave the factory? Surely theres some kind of procedure to keep this from happening. But it seems that there have been several people reporting getting these noises, returning the systems, and the NEW ONE also has the same sound.

I would be interested in hearing from a CM employee. To be honest I don't want to buy another product, because when this one works, its just awesome. I just need one that works, and I've invested a lot of time and a TON of gas money buying these things and exchanging them at the closest Microcenter which is over an hour away from me.

Looks like I will be RMA'ing the thing.

I wouldn't RMA it unless you are prepared never to see it again (my experience anyway). I had a EVO 212 to use while I was waiting but ended up buying a new Nepton from the local shop so they can have the headake of swaping it if I have a problem with it, But I tryed to protect myself as much as possible so I got the shop to bring most there stock out so I could check weights and I must point out that even without scales you can tell some are heaver than others.  

Dear David,

We are sorry but we cannot do anything about this since we are not responsible for the shipping.
We have forward you the shipping address in the e-mail with the RMA details.

If we received your RMA then we will let it know a.s.a.p.

Best regards,

Thanks..

Eric Nagi    0

Oh I wont be sending this thing off until I have one in my hands. I understand I'll get charged on my card, but that's just the way its gotta be. I'm not driving another 70 miles to Microcenter to return this thing. Either they can get me one that works without me investing any more gas money and time into it, or I'll just have to make sure I don't let anyone I know purchase CM products.

If you've noticed a change in tone from accepting to very negative, It's because I've tried to get in contact with CM and you can't talk to anyone on the phone, they make you leave a message, it says you can live chat, but that's offline, and I just submitted my RMA request, and it says they'll get back to me in 1 to 2 business days... This is ridiculous, its a $120 unit and I can't get ANY customer support for it?

Don't blame you it wasn't the money for me. I have a real passion for helping people and bringing more people into the fold, Last year I sold over 20 ASRock Motherboards as they were my preferred make of board then I had problems with 1 (No sound) so I tryed to RMA, Same story they had to have pics of board and socket so I provided and waited then they said to send it back and got bounced straight at me as it was incompleate, So I mailed again and they stated that it was becasuse of having packaged with the wrong SATA cable (From another ASRock board) so I stopped useing ASRock and moved to MSI. I can explain how PPM works and how factorys are measured but to much to get into here, But the end of the story is that if they can get you from returning it (lost in post) etc they don't have to call it a defect so they can carry on building shoddy goods, at the moment I am led to believe that in every 10 iphones produced they are rejecting on avarage 7 and thats one of the best manufacturing plants in China, Now who really cares about coolermaster best advice to give is just stay away from the brand as if they produce in china and no quality control there quality is deteriating badly.

Eric Nagi    0

I wanted to post an update.

The only thing CM responded to was my RMA request, and they gave me no option to receive a replacement cooler before I sent off mine.

This is completely unacceptable, and I will not be sending my cooler off, as I can't trust the company to return a phone call, or even answer the phone for that matter. I will not be trusting them with returning my money based on their "honor system" of sending it off, and hoping they don't deny getting it.

This is the last cooler master product I buy, and I would encourage anyone reading this to do the same. I know I will be spreading the word on every forum that I can. I'm returning this to Microcenter, whom I hope has a good defect policy with CM and isn't taking the hit for both of these units, as they have been nothing but helpful, and purchasing another brand of AIO.

Good job CM.

dwilko    5

Not being funny but that's how all rma's work you send yours off they test it and along as you haven't personally damaged it theyvsend you a new one , I had mine rmad, returned new one sent within 8 days that's 2 days postage , 2 days for weekend Testing replacement issues and resent back out.

No problems my end they were prompt with their emails as well, I'd take photos of the unit before packaging back up and then print the RMA off attach the forms and send it. If its faulty which mine was ticking and they said was faulty so I'm sure they'd give you a new one

dwilko    5

Also just for a note a company would also have to do the same , request an RMA on a unit fill out relevant paperwork send it off and have new stock delivered. They may out of good faith give you a replacement that they have off the shelf. On no RMA do you get a new one then send yours off , (you could be dodgy and sell one of them and have a brand new one without getting billed) that's just how it works.

Worked for a shop doing a lot of Rma's and services plenty of cuatomers to explain bits to.