Byron John

Standoff Screws too Short for Backer Plate

Byron John    0

I am building a new unit and trying to install the Hyper EVO 212.  My motherboard is an ASUS Z97-E.  The standoff screws for the backer plate are too short to allow putting the nuts on.  If I force them I am afraid of hurting the motherboard. 

For the life of me, I cannot understand why these standoffs are so short.

I am dead in the water for now.

CM Patrick    34

Hello Bryon,

Can you please upload a picture of the installation to this thread.

Respectfully,

Patrick
CMUSA Support

Byron John    0

My problem was that the longer standoffs would not let the nuts spin on easily and I was afraid of stripping the thread.   I decided what the heck, and used the longer standoffs and carefully threaded the nuts on and then used the little tool to tighten these in a crossing fashion.  Somehow the instructions should give some sort of designation like 140mm and 100mm standoffs and which is to be used where.  I a mechanical engineer and these were not the best instructions to follow.

System is up and running.

Regarding the Hyper 212X I purchased recently to fit a Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI motherboard (i7 6600K)
I am so in tune with your probs John re the threads on the spacers and connection to the backplate through the motherboard.
Given the clearance at the back of the motherboard re the cutout I have on my case !
The thread on the so called 'D' spacers went through the motherboard and touched the backplate with next to nothing of the
thread coming through! Given an extra 2mm or so would have made the complete installation a breeze BUT no! Which makes me
bewildered that these so called designers of this gear can't seem to be on the same page when it comes to actually testing the
gear on a real motherboard configuration - if they had the problem would have been instantly recognized!

OR are the motherboards they're testing them on super THIN!!

Luckily I DID get the 'G' spacers to fit and though loathe to risk the CPU as Cooler master show the 1151 installation using the D standoffs
as correct fitting - I am assuming that so long as the thermal paste / conductivity is established I should NOT have any further problems.

My advice to Cooler master is SORT your act out!! An extra 2mm on the thread please!