smdb

CM Devastator LED light autostart on Windows - GUIDE

smdb    8

Hi all,

to automatically switch on the keyboard's leds on Windows logon, there are several methods:

Method 1) Launch setup_Devastator MB24.msi (attached .rar) [working on Win 7-8-8.1-10]: thanks to Breaz

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Simply decompress the rar file and launch the installer.

Method 2) Put vbs script in Startup Folder [it seems that isn't working on Win 7 but is OK for Win 10]:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Put the script in Windows startup folder (hidden folder), your start folder is in ​C:\Users\(account name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

[Note: first rename scrlock.txt in scrlock.vbs]
Restart Windows.

Method 3) Using Group Editor [working fine on Win 10]:

Restart Windows.

Method 4) Using values on Windows Registry:

You can actually set this string value to any value from 0 – 7 (default is 2), depending on your needs:

0 – Turn off all keyboard indicators
    1 – Turn on Caps Lock
    2 – Turn on Num Lock
    3 – Turn on Caps Lock and Num Lock
    4 – Turn on Scroll Lock
    5 – Turn on Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
    6 – Turn on Num Lock and Scroll Lock        <-------
    7 – Turn on all keyboard indicators

Launch Registry Editor in Start menu (regedit.exe), you can put this value on:
- for all the users on the machine: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators
- for the current user: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators

Restart Windows.

Method 5) Put the attached script at startup on Windows Registry:

You can start a vbscipt from registry or startup by: WScript C:\somefloder\somefolder2\yourscript.vbs

Launch Registry Editor in Start menu (regedit.exe), you can put this line in a value on:
- for all the users on the machine: HKLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- for the current user: HKCURRENTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Restart Windows.

Best regards
SMDB

scrlock.txt

setup_Devastator MB24.rar

Edited by smdb
  • Upvote 5

KingFatty    0

Hello,

This looks great, but can you advise on my problem?  I follow the guide for the first option, launching Regedit and changing the value for all users (change the InitialKeyboardIndicators from "2" to "6".

But, when I reboot the computer, the value is reset back to 2!  When I run regedit again and look at the value, it's 2 again, and it just overwrites the 6 back to a 2 each time I change it and restart windows.

How can I make my change stick?  Is there something else overwriting the 6 back to a 2, such as another registry entry somewhere else?

Also note, under your instructions for changing for the current user, I notice the oddness that the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators is not set initially to a 2 like you'd expect (and how the above setting is initially set), but instead this one has a weird value of 2147483648.  Could that have something to do with why the computer resets the setting for all users back to a 2, despite my changing it to a 6?  Do I have to change both values to a 6?  I only tried changing the entry for all users as instructed under the first bullet point above, and did not change the values for both regedit entries. 

Thanks!

smdb    8

Hi Aaron,

in my initial post I have collected several solutions found in other unofficial forums by users which claim to be working.

Unfortunately also for my hw/sw configuration the 1 and 2 solutions don't work, while 3 is perfect for me (as said above).

I suggest you to try the solutions in order.

good luck

SMDB

KingFatty    0

Thanks.  With solution method 3) above, does that turn on the LED *before* you've logged in?  Or do you have to enter your login password successfully first, before the keyboard will light up?

I ask because I wonder if the keyboard will be dark while you are trying to enter your password?

smdb    8

In my configuration I don't use password to access, but I'm seeing that the LEDs come on after logon (when clicking on the icon of my user profile).

I think that 1th and 2nd methods (using HKLOCALMACHINE section) operate during the startup phase (and not waiting the logon). You should try and than bring your experience for the benefit of all users.

Frankly speaking I do not know why these three methods work for someone and not for someone else.
Mysteries of Microsoft.....for this reason I have collected them all. So everyone can try the best (working) method for him.

Mr.Mik    1

Dear smdbI just want to thank you. You have no idea how much you made my day.
I couldn’t make it Work  ​(none of 3 methods on Windows 10) but I used the script in start folder (hidden of course) and it Works

if anyone else is using Windows 10, your start folder is in ​C:\Users\(account name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

now my keyboard is 100% perfect

Kind regards

Mik

​

• Upvote 1

smdb    8

HI Mik, many thanks for your support. I'll add it in the first post to benefit of all users.

I'd tested this method first of all on Windows 7 because it's very easy to implement it, but it didn't work (I don't know why).

br

SMDB