David M

EVO 212 LGA2011 Socket

David M    0

I got a new EVO 212 to mount on an Intel i7 4820K on an ASUS Sabertooth X79.  After mounting I can physically twist the heat-sync back/forth and when I put the case vertical it seems to hang a bit.

Is this normal?  If not, any ideas for troubleshooting?  I don't want to power it up without a properly mounted heat-sync.

David M    0

Live support says its fine...

Patrick: Hello David M,
Thank you for waiting and welcome to Cooler Master Live Help!
Your live chat session will be available in the Support Ticket section of the CM Fanzone at the end of this chat.

Please hold for one minute while I review your question.
Thank you for your patience.
You: Thank you Patrick
Patrick: Hello David, Yes this is perfectly normal due to the design of the mounting hardware
You: So it should move around and hang a bit.
You: ?
You: It doesn't seem very stable.
Patrick: Its normal, its because the EVO has a pin in the center of the heatsink so it will move slightly
Patrick: Its very stable, no reason to worry
You: Okay.  Thank you for your time.

CM Patrick    34

Hello David,

You can also post a picture of the Hyper 212 EVO here if you would like me to take a look at it.

Respectfully,
Patrick
CMUSA Support

Tom    1

I am seeing something very similar. Hyper 212 EVO and Asus X99-A board with an LGA 2011 -V3 socket. I saw that there are pre-built screw holes in the socket. So I put the CM standoffs in the socket and tightened down the cooler to the CPU. It is loose because I can rotate the cooler left and right and slide it a little ways across the CPU.

Are there specific instructions for the LGA 2011-V3 socket? Are the CM standoffs necessary? Or can I use the screw holes in the socket and skip the standoffs?

I did confirm that my Hyper 212 model and the LGA 2011-V3 socket are compatible from here: http://www.coolermaster.com/company/newsDetail-M14090500018810-20140905.html?page=1

A mistake here would get expensive. 

Tom    1

Figured out my problem. I was using the long standoffs instead of the short ones.  Once I switched to the short ones it worked great and very tight. 

Based on this I would recommend this cooler to anyone with an LGA 2011-V3 socket because you do not need the backplate. 

But it would be GREAT if CM updated their documentation to show how to set up the 212 with an LG 2011-v3 socket. 

Are you listening, CM?

• Upvote 1

Figured out my problem. I was using the long standoffs instead of the short ones.  Once I switched to the short ones it worked great and very tight. 

Based on this I would recommend this cooler to anyone with an LGA 2011-V3 socket because you do not need the backplate. 

But it would be GREAT if CM updated their documentation to show how to set up the 212 with an LG 2011-v3 socket. 

Are you listening, CM?

Tom

Let me ask you something, do you have any idea of the difference in size of the standoffs I got the 212 plus without the intel 2011 standoffs. I just have the big ones and I don't have chance to get the kit, so I have to improvise to solve my problem and try to mod them. I live outside U.S. I'd appreciate much your help.

james01    0

Hi, I still think that LGA 2011 needs this backplate cause I dont see any backplate at the back that is distinct for supporting this cooler. It just comes with a MoBo stock backplate. Look at other LGA sockets they are the same MoBo backplate but just smaller and you got to install CM Hyper 212 evo backplate in there. What of lga 2011?

Edited by james01

CM Patrick    34

Hello James01,

The 2011 socket does not need the back plate. The included backplate is only for AMD sockets and Intel 115X / 775.

Patrick
CMUSA Support