Jet

Ultimate Quickfire: doesn't always work on boot

Jet    0

Hi,

I got the Ultimate Quickfire (brown switch, red led) back in December 2014 and I've had this problem with the keyboard ever since.

Sometimes when I boot my PC the keyboard doesn't start up, no LEDs, no response. I have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in (usually into another USB port) to get it to work.

I read on another thread for the Rapid-i that there is a firmware update that solved the same problem for that keyboard, but there doesn't appear to be any drivers for the Ultimate Quickfire?

Can anyone help?

Windows 8.1 (updated)

AsRock Extreme 6 Z77 (latest bios)

2600k 3.4GHz

Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM

Also happens in other computers but I don't know what their spec is.

Hi Jet,

I think you may have a defective keyboard, or I think the wrong driver might be installed so every time you restart computer the incorrect driver isn't able to load so you have to plug into another port.

Please try the following:

1) First go into Windows

2) Make sure the keyboard is working

3) Right click on my computer > properties > Device Manager > Keyboards > right click on HID Keyboard Device or HID Device and go to the driver tab to uninstall driver

4) After uninstall now unplug keyboard and plug in again, the keyboard will start to install driver

5) Enable FN lock (LED on) 

6) Hold N key + INS key to switch to 6KRO mode, keyboard should power down for 2 seconds 

7) Hold N key + DEL key to switch to NKRO mode, the keyboard will power down for 2 seconds then start up again and will start installing driver

8) Restart computer

9) Confirm if keyboard works right away

10) If keyboard does not work then repeat steps 6 and 7 and then put it back to 6KRO mode and restart computer again

If trying all these steps and your keyboard still isn't working when Windows starts up then you might have a defective keyboard. I also recommend that you avoid plugging the keyboard into USB 3.0 ports and only plug the keyboard into USB 2.0 ports. You may also want download the newest chipset and USB 3.0 host controller drivers from the motherboard manufacturer website to see if this may be an issue with drivers for your USBs.

Please let me know if the above was able to help resolve the issue for you.

Thanks!

George A    0

Hi Jet,

I think you may have a defective keyboard, or I think the wrong driver might be installed so every time you restart computer the incorrect driver isn't able to load so you have to plug into another port.

Please try the following:

1) First go into Windows

2) Make sure the keyboard is working

3) Right click on my computer > properties > Device Manager > Keyboards > right click on HID Keyboard Device or HID Device and go to the driver tab to uninstall driver

4) After uninstall now unplug keyboard and plug in again, the keyboard will start to install driver

5) Enable FN lock (LED on) 

6) Hold N key + INS key to switch to 6KRO mode, keyboard should power down for 2 seconds 

7) Hold N key + DEL key to switch to NKRO mode, the keyboard will power down for 2 seconds then start up again and will start installing driver

8) Restart computer

9) Confirm if keyboard works right away

10) If keyboard does not work then repeat steps 6 and 7 and then put it back to 6KRO mode and restart computer again

If trying all these steps and your keyboard still isn't working when Windows starts up then you might have a defective keyboard. I also recommend that you avoid plugging the keyboard into USB 3.0 ports and only plug the keyboard into USB 2.0 ports. You may also want download the newest chipset and USB 3.0 host controller drivers from the motherboard manufacturer website to see if this may be an issue with drivers for your USBs.

Please let me know if the above was able to help resolve the issue for you.

Thanks!

I can confirm that the problem the OP has, exists. I have it on two of my systems, one has z68 motherboard, other z77.

I have tried everything the admin says and still get it from time to time. I should mention that i have a seperate keyboard on each system. It's definitely a similar firmware bug, as with the Rapid-I keyboard, although less frequent to me.