Kamil Koryszewski

CM 412S - got faulty one? Urgent!

Hi, I recently bought pc. 

Case: CM HAF 912 Adv

CPU: I5 4690k

Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97

Cooling: CM 412s

I think I am just unlucky. FIrstly I have found that in case Esata cable is damaged (I don't know if I can get replacement). 

Secondly I had high temps on cpu. I have checked online how to mount cm 412s and I saw the plate with screws which I put on cm 412s should be lying perectly and all the screws should go easily into mobo. In my case I had so many problems. 2 screws went easily into holes but 2 others needed so much force because they needed like 2mm to the holes. When I screw all I saw that cooling doesn't perfectly fit the cpu. It covers just 3/4 of cpu plate!! I have tried to use more force and now the screw can't be unscrewed. 

Is it possible that I have faulty plate that doesn't fit the holes in my mobo? When I place unscrewed cooling it covers whole cpu when I screw it to the mobo it covers 3/4 of cpu !! 

Help me with this please!! Maybe Cooler Master can send me new plate? will need 4 screws too - one of these I have will go to the bin:/

It will be hard to make it, I would need to take off the heatsink and mobo. Problem is that is I try to take it off I won't put it in anymore because of the damaged screw.

In this link you can see that screw are perfectly fitted

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cm+412s&espv=2&biw=1040&bih=626&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=78XTVKuKNsKa7Ab_8oGoBQ&ved=0CCAQsAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=f0_QNmoVyRQNeM%253A%3BONn6WcR3lVSSoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.hardwarelook.com%252Fimages%252Fuploads%252FREVIEWS%252FCOOLING%252FCoolermaster_Hyper_412S%252Flarge%252FHyper-412S-installation.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.hardwarelook.com%252Freviews%252Fcoolermaster-hyper-412s-cpu-cooler-review_146_2.html%3B670%3B445

- they lie straight in line with the holes on mobo. When I put heatsink there is no way to put the screws to the holes with hands, I need to screw 1 slightly, then another, then another and the last one needs to bend (slightly but need much force). On yt I saw guy that puts heatsink, screws in holes and can even use hands to slightly screw them in then use the screwdriver.

Is it possible that I have faulty plate that is slightly to big/small?

One more thing, is it possible to go to normal store and buy new screw, can someone send me the details what to tell in store I can't find anywhere what type of screw it is. As I see it will be hard to take it out too;/ 

The last question: I bought it on Amazon if I send it back to get replacement will I be charged because of this screw? Rest is perfect condition (but the plate is faulty). What should I do now? to just enjoy using my pc;/

Btw I love CM - Always used CM cases/thermal pastes and cooling this time I was just unlucky;/

world    84

It's odd that you say that the cooler only covers 3/4 of the CPU plate. :( Is it mounted offset so some of the CPU is exposed?

Is it somehow possible to squeeze a camera into your case and take a picture of how the cooler is mounted to the motherboard without taking it all out? Maybe if you removed the GPU and took a picture from that angle. It would definitely help to have some sort of picture, even if it's not that good of one. Maybe just enough to see how the cooler is mounted and how it's sitting on the CPU

Hi Kamil,

I think you might have put on the X-bracket incorrectly, please see example below:

Please see picture examples below of what is correct or incorrect:

Correct X-Retention Bracket position for Intel:

gallery_89240_38_11467.png

Incorrect X-Retention bracket position for Intel:

gallery_89240_38_56973.png

Lift up and move screw with springs to the correct 1150/1155/1156 position:
gallery_89240_38_3870.jpg

gallery_89240_35_4712.png

Hope this helps, please let me know if you were able to successfully install the cooler to your motherboard.

Thanks!

Thx, I will try it, but first I need to know what sort of screw I need to buy - size/name etc. I am noob in this sort of things. Can you write the correct size/name that when I go to store I say and they give me;p If I make mistake I won't be able to use my pc so thats very important. Cooler Master should make better manuals they are very very bad

Thx, I will try it, but first I need to know what sort of screw I need to buy - size/name etc. I am noob in this sort of things. Can you write the correct size/name that when I go to store I say and they give me;p If I make mistake I won't be able to use my pc so thats very important. Cooler Master should make better manuals they are very very bad

Sorry didn't pick up the part where you mentioned about damaged screw, if the screw is damaged it would be hard to even find a proper replacement from the hardware store because you require the spring on the screw as well to allow the heat sink to be properly leveraged when the screws are tightened.

It would be best to purchase a new retention bracket, where are you located?

If you are located in US & Canada you can check out our US CM Store at http://www.cmstore-usa.com

If you are located outside of the US & Canada then you can visit our Europe CM Store at http://cmstore.eu

Our EU Store does offer international shipping so you can email them at shop@coolermaster.eu to ask about the part availability and also the shipping quote to your address.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have the same problem as Kamil as well.

I cant screw in the cooler to the motherboard because the fan blocks it. All 4 screw is blocked.

nz4xeu.jpg

Hi Stewie,

You see that little pillar on the right below the X-retention bracket? I think you put on the bracket on the wrong side because that pillar has to lock in place to keep the retention bracket from moving and right now in the picture it obviously isn't able to lock in place so it is not even flat. I am not sure if that is really the problem that is causing the issue for you but that is the first thing I picked up when looking at the picture.

Thanks.