new build, random freezes or BSOD

Building a new rig as follows....

HAF XB EVO

Asus A88X-Pro motherboard

AMD Kaveri A10-7850

Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU cooler

Gskill 16gb memory (2x 8gb)

Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD

Everything was going well until I started getting random freezes and sometimes BSOD.

This morning I was doing some windows updates and I gently placed the case top in place and slid it forward and it froze.

I rebooted and tried it again with same results. Seems every time I bump, move or just put the top/side on the case, the computer freezes or BSOD's. There aren't any apparent static discharges that I can tell.

loose connection somewhere?

big CPU cooler is flexing the board or CPU with any movement?

grounding problem with case? Weren't there some issues with the power buttons on these cases?

I'm at a loss :angry:

world    84

It sounds like you potentially have a loose ground somewhere, so perhaps you could recheck all of your wires/connectors and screws to make sure they're all tight. If you have the time, you could also try reseating the CPU and memory.

Just curious, but what kind of power button issues have you read about?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I will be checking all connections and reseating the ram/cpu this weekend.

I had read a couple of threads about failing power buttons. Can't remember off hand if they were legit or if they were particular to this case. Just trying to cover all bases.

I reseated all of the power/fan connectors, reseated memory, reseated SSD.

I've moved the case around while it was on and no freezes so far.

The motherboard came with a Q-connector for the front panel connections and I left that off, connecting the front panel directly to the MB.

I also left the HD audio connector and USB 3 connector disconnected....for now.

So this morning I started from scratch and reinstalled Windows, installed the chipset/ethernet/audio drivers from the Asus CD. Downloaded Avast free AV and life was still good......until I placed the top panel back on the case and WHAM.......it freezes :angry:

world    84

Sorry to hear that :(

Between your last 2 posts, did you reconnect everything back together, or is the problem occurring with everything disconnected still?

If you bump your case with something non-conductive, does the computer still freeze?

I tried it with minimal connections and with everything connected. I "bumped" the case by just tapping it with my fingers.

It's even worse now. All I'm getting is a blinking cursor on the monitor. The MB Q-code displays AE. The manual says that means "legacy boot event".

I'm going to remove everything from the case, dismantle the CPU cooler and remount and try to run it out of the case.

I took everything out of the case and reseated the CPU and cooler. I had to start over and reinstall windows.

I think between all the freezes, BSOD's and updating the BIOS, it corrupted my SSD. After windows reinstall everything seems to be OK.

It's all back in the case and no freezes so far.

Larry C    0

Just a thought...  Do you have risers on the MB so it cannot short to the case?   How did you ground the MB?  Check p/s to case with an ohm meter to  make sure no short to case there.

Yes of course I have checked all the obvious mounting points. Unfortunately it is doing it again. I tapped around on it last night to see if I could get it to freeze and it didn't, until I tapped a little harder. I tapped on the top front of the plastic bezel just above the fan grill and it froze up. When I say hard I mean just a quick tap like you might do knocking on someones door but not real hard. I'm convinced it has something to do with the electronics in the front panel of the case. I'm going to take off the front panel and see if I can see anything obvious. I am considering buying a different case just to see if it can be repeated. I like the HAF but this is ridiculous.