Jeremy

Quickfire Ultimate Backlight Question

Jeremy    0

So I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for me to leave me keyboard plugged in and have the backlight on overnight.  It's nice to look at while laying in bed, but I'm afraid this may have a large impact on the life span of my keyboard, so for now I just unplug it at night.

Is it okay to keep on overnight?

post-96748-0-46184800-1421176970_thumb.jpg

In love with this keyboard though <3

world    84

technically, with any kind of light, the lifespan is lowered through use, since LEDs and other lights are rated for a certain number of hours. I keep my computer on at night a lot, but the LEDs in my fans don't really die out :P

I haven't had much experience with backlit keyboards for an extended amount of time though, so I can't give you help from direct experience, sorry!

Pclinde    197

It might decrease the lifespan, but I don't expect that it will be a major difference. :)

• Upvote 1

Belgarionbg    2

I have my ultimate for over an year now. I use it on the lowest brightness. Most ot the days I leave it on 24/7. There is not an slightest decrease in the top brightness level. :)

Pclinde    197

I have my ultimate for over an year now. I use it on the lowest brightness. Most ot the days I leave it on 24/7. There is not an slightest decrease in the top brightness level. :)

Nice to hear that. :D

• Upvote 1

Belgarionbg    2

And to be clear - I use it on the lowest brightness not because I`m worried that LEDs lifespan will be shorten too much - it`s because everything over that is too bright.

Which is awesome but it hurts my eyes because I type a lot. :)

The thing that kill LEDs is too high voltage and when the voltage is unstable with over the tops spikes. If the voltage is regulated properly everything is ok. And when you power more than one - in this case 100+ the regulation is even more easy.

This, the cherry`s and the crazy build quality makes Ultimate price little bit higher but its worth it.

Also even lowest quality LEDs have crazy good lifespan - even with 24/7 use you will be old man by the time that one or few leds are for replace.

In our case Ultimate is top class keyboard with good quality control and equiped with good parts, so the potential for problems are probably below 1%.

I have leds mounted on equipment from 1984 and they still works. So make your math... ;)

---

I have made small video.

Btw usually I use it 10-12 hours per day, but most of the time I don`t turn off the pc so it stays on 24/7. :)