Titosfuneral

Quiet Workstation Build - cooling in a Silencio 652S

I am currently building a quiet i7-5820k/Silencio 652s based workstation but am undecided about the cooling solution. Normally I would just bang a big Hyper 612 v2 or similar in there as the quietest solution. However I want this box to be smallish, quiet and movable, and a big air cooler can damage the motherboard when moved. So looking at all in one water cooling - the Neptune's seem to be the best quiet/budget solution - so:

1. Neptune 120XL or 240M - Which would be quieter in the Silencio 652s case?

• Would the 120XL have to work hard and therefore be noisy?
  • The 240M would be top mounted and therefore "directed" at me sitting right next to it. Would this make it noisier?
  • Overall it's a quieter solution I'm after rather than an overclocking one - the machine is for work at home not play.

2. Motherboard Gigabyte X99-UD4 vs Asus X99-S - which handle variable voltage on the water block better?

• Dual Windows/Hackintosh build so gigabyte card easier - but..
  • Asus has fanexpert so automatic variable voltage to the water block is possible to keep it quieter.
  • Anyone got experience with variable voltage on the water block with these manufacturers?

Any and all thought welcome - I'd rather get it right as I won't be buying another home workstation for years!

world    84

1. The 240M would be the quieter option, since you could run fans at lower speeds on it since it can mount twice the number of fans as the 120XL. It being at the top rather than elsewhere might make it slightly louder with the same fan speeds, but since you can use fans at a lower RPM on it, I think it will be quieter overall. 

2. Either one would be fine. They both will be able to drive the pump just fine as well as automatically adjust voltage to keep things quieter when needed.

• Upvote 1

A.J. King    0

1. The 240M would be the quieter option, since you could run fans at lower speeds on it since it can mount twice the number of fans as the 120XL. It being at the top rather than elsewhere might make it slightly louder with the same fan speeds, but since you can use fans at a lower RPM on it, I think it will be quieter overall. 

2. Either one would be fine. They both will be able to drive the pump just fine as well as automatically adjust voltage to keep things quieter when needed.

I didn't think the 240m would fit in the silencio 652s with quad fans.. but I guess I could get it and see if there were space and if not - it's not exactly going to be loud. (Certainly not as loud as the workstation it's replacing)

Thanks

world    84

You're right, quad fans might not fit, but I think that's probably dependent on your motherboard.

But, a 240m with 2 fans should perform better than the 120xl with 2 fans, assuming the same fans and RPMs.

• Upvote 1