Sign in to follow this  
bronney

CRT interference mod.

bronney    0

You won't believe how lazy I am people.!

So I got this 19" the other day and spent so much energy moving it and adjusting screen for every single resolution and at the end I noticed something wrong, the top right corner had what appears to be a magnetic interference thing.

Did a lot of research on the net and noticed that it could be my sub woofer, and after moving it around and stuff, it's still there. So I guess it's the bad monitor. I really tried everything.

Then when I was moving the steering wheel around getting ready for some NFSU2 action, I noticed that when I moved the wheel close to the monitor, the color went away. Hmm must be a magnet in that wheel correcting it.

So I searched the house for a powerful magnet and came up with the spare PSU, hanged the PSU on a special orientation and it worked! but attaching the PSU would be a problem (I know, up to this point, you'd say just RMA the thing. But I am so desparate to try out the 19" during the weekend I had to do something).

More searching and I found this spare HDD, so I tried, man this works even better. I used velcro. Below is the before and after shot.

DSCF0223.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

I am guessing the magnet will prolly do permanent damage if I leave this on for too long, but I am also guessing that this "damage" might actually fix the field / phosphor.

Another thing is if I deguass the monitor while the hdd is on, the fixing effect dies. So I might have to reattach everytime I turn on the monitor. Let's see how it goes a few days later.

Mr. Miyagi    2

Sorry to hear that your monitor was bad. That's a nice solution on fixing it though. :lol: I think you should RMA it. If you paid the money that you did for a CRT, you should have nothing wrong with it. (Maybe you should put a window in the HDD :wink: )

Wacft    0

damn that sucks, but i love how you figured out a solution. i would deffinately take it back thats like 100 hundred dead pixels on an lcd!

bronney    0

Yeah I am prolly RMA'ing it real soon, but I am running out of personal time and hauling 19" crt is no fun :)

The reason I can't go samsung is cuz they can't do 1600 x 1200 at 85 Hz. And I think this is the only monitor, besides the discontinued Sony G400/420 and the ultra expensive EIZO that does it. :( Just wait till I get more time and I prolly get a replacement.

Varry    0

listen, i had the same thing with a tv. noneed to rma, contact a tv-repair guy, they have a big circular electromagnet which they use to correct those flaws. They move the big magnet in circular moves while moving away from it, you'll see the screen will be attracted towards the magnet, once the magnet is far enough the screen will be steady, centered and no more magnetic flaws. But beware when apraoching magnetic sources too close to a screen.

bronney    0

Thanks mate will try that, at least calling in a guy would cost less than a quad transport fare moving the 19" around.

***UPDATE***

Just letting the hdd sat one nite, it's already improved it, I tried taking the hdd off, and do 1 degauss, the yellow spot is way fader and smaller. ima let it sit one more nite and prolly can take it off forever. Man I have such dumb luck with things hehe.

epidemik    0

bad luck man.

I got a new benQ 17 inch lcd for christmas..opened it up and installed and 2 dead pixels

But the second pixel has like dissapeared? strange....

limqareb    0

in my tv i had moved a magnet it cam purple but after putting it of and leving it for an hour it was good try degauss maybe it works