Sign in to follow this  
MonsterZero

20pin Stacker + 2x24pin PSU's and 24pin Mobo

Guest dogin   
Guest dogin
The day a real computer needs such a psu (providing it lives up to what it sais) is the day something is really wrong. What on earth do you need this much power for?

Take a look at what 2 6800 Ultra (512mb each) vid cards (SLI) consume (coming out shortly) and add to that the next gen cards and an FX 59 OC'd, case lighting fans and/or H20 cooling. Looks like about the right amount of power so the PS is not taxed and remains stable. The PCP&C PS's take less power out of the wall socket (ie more efficient). Waiting for a CM solution like this one to go in my SLI upgrade!!!

Ps I can't see adding all the extra wires two PS's require when one will do the job???? Hard enough to keep a clean case. In addition, if you put the hard drives in the bottom 3 bays (4 to 3 120mm cage) and exhaust their air with 1 or 2 rear bottom case fans, the whole system stays cooler.

madman2003    0

Let's say the 6800 Ultra's use 150 W each. (which is a lot in my eyes and probably way too much)

Let's add another 150 W(again a lot) for the cpu and 100 W for the rest of the system.

That's 550 W, not 850 W. It would be unwise for manufacturers to create even more power hungry components, because some things are already using way too much.

Anyone considering to buy a computer(non-server) that needs the full power of even a 450 W psu should consider how much that is.

Karma Ghost    0
This means the overall power consumption of the GeForce 6800 Ultra must be somewhere between 77.5 Watts, and 123.5 Watts.

That comes from here: http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/6800upower

The CPU is an exaggeration too, but overall your numbers add up. I don't know how much a hard drive uses... so that could play a big role if you have a bunch of raptors or scsi drives.

JEASTMAN    0
Your not the only one on this forum that has this problem, has anything progressed with this yet! After spending my hard earned cash on Coolermaster products! i.e Stacker and 2 Real Power supplies, i find that i can't use them both at once, come on guys, anyone know where we can get this 24 Pin Y-Cable from!

i'm not so sure the 24 pin y-cable is the answer. use the 12v atx 4-pin supply from psu #2 and the 24-pin from #1psu. this works for me! 8)

Just one problem i have just found out with this solution is that the human interface meter that is connected to the power supply that is using the 4 pin plug does not work, but the meter that is connected to the power supply that is using the 24 pin plug works fine, anybody have any solutions as to how to get the other meter to work, would bridging the green and black (i think they are the right wires) on the power supply get the meter to work, and if so, would it be safe, and not harm the power supply?

Same for me; the psu using only the 4-pin atx 12v does not power-up the H.I. voltmeter. we need to know how to proceed. Coolermaster guy please reply. note: the H.I. voltmeter that is working shows 200w max draw on boot-up and aprox. 160watt draw at idle.(915p,775 socket,3.2gig w2mb L2 , pny6600gt)

JEASTMAN    0
Are there any updates to this problem? I don't think that the adapter Stacker posted is the correct on. You should only need the green and black wires from the 2nd PSU to be daisy chained with the green and black from the 1st PSU. Exactly like the adapter that Coolermaster provides but in a 24 pin version.

Been there, done that with cutters; wire; connectors; and solder. This does not work! The 24pin psu dosen't care what you do with those two wires. 8)

_ferry_    0

Just test if your PSU's both start working when you connect the green and black wire. if it does; it should work too when you combine them.

JEASTMAN    0
Just test if your PSU's both start working when you connect the green and black wire. if it does; it should work too when you combine them.

The green and black "signal" wires have no affect on a 24 pin power supply. Yes i did actually, physically, hook it up and test. The result is nothing; nada; nine; zip; zero! ...Power the 4-pin atx 12v connection with one psu and the 24 pin mobo connection with the other and they both work. forget the green and black "signal" wires unless you are going to use a 20-pin for the second supply. this works very well. the 24-pin psu for the motherboard and the 20-pin for the periphals is most correct and works with the "signal" wires. 8)

Soong    0

OK, Here's one for you.

I heard about getting a pair of power supplies working if you ran the 24-pin cable from one, and the 4-pin cable from another. I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, and that didn't work. But get this.

The Asus board has a standard 4-pin connector on the motherboard (you know - the one that you usually use to power a CD/DVD/PATA drive)?

Connect the second power supply to that connector, and it will fire up when you hit the on switch.

I currently have an A8N-SLI Deluxe running with 2xEnermax Noisetakers (1x475W, 1x370W). Works a treat.