FruitLoop

Quickfire Rapid-i problem

Pclinde    197

Thanks. :)

Those are PBT, Vortex PBT + POM (normally for backlit keyboards), the white ones. The RGB mods are also Vortex thick PBT.

And the red WASD/Arrows are from the extra caps that came with the XT.

Nice! PBT good choice. ;) Mechanical Keyboard Master Race!

Scy    1

Hi all!

New around here. I'm a relatively new CM user - got a mouse (the Havoc) at work and the Rapid-i at home.

It's rather unfortunate to come to this community after googling about dead LEDs on this keyboard, a thing I did after I've purchased the product  which means I did not do my homework well enough.

Anyway, fact of the matter is that I don't have dead LEDs yet (and hopefully never) but like the user above me, I'm interested to know how did CM engineering team solve this problem or if that's sensitive information, at least can we have a serial/model number (or something) for the "new" keyboard that has this issue fixed?

My keyboard's model # is: SGK-4040-GKCM1-US

Should I expect dead LEDs any moment now?

Thanks.

p.s. I already have to put up with the infamous "ping" sound coming out from space and a few other keys, so this new discovery regarding the LEDs is not helping with improving my satisfaction with this product.

The "ping" sound also comes from my spacebar. Which makes it sound like a blue Cherry MX even, I don't find it annoying, nor comfortable. It's weird that the spacebar sounds so much different than the default keys. I don't have the issue with other keys though, so only the spacebar for me.

Got my Rapid-i keyboard now two weeks, no dead LED's yet. But CM claims that this new batch (including mine?) doesn't have these LED issue's.

- Edit: Oh and I never move my keyboard. It's always on my desk, so I don't use the mobility aspect of the keyboard. Which can, in my opinion extend the longevity of the LED's. (Instead of being pressed when your keyboard is in a bag or something).

wkd    0

uh, only had the keyboard for 3 weeks and one of the leds are dead already. i'm going to send it back

Pete    2

Is there still no official comment on this worryingly common dying LED issue apart from "RMA it"? This model has been out for 7 months - that's plenty of time to analyse the return rate, do extra QA on the LED components etc. It's starting to feel that CM are keeping something from us to avoid a costly recall. 

I'm still keen to buy one as I like the white LEDs and compact/clean design, but the number of people posting issues with even RMA models is really worrying and I'd rather have some assurances that I can get hold of a model without this common issue.

• Upvote 2

bneck    2

Now my replacement keyboard also has dead LEDs. If any of you here are thinking about buying this - do yourself a huge favour and avoid purchasing a rapid-i. CM also doesnt seem to give a crap about this keyboard. Again - please do not purchase this keyboard - for your own sanity. This is the second one with LEDs dying on me. It is clearly a major issue and CM is refusing to acknowledge it. 

• Upvote 2

Victor Tong    0

I been very impressed with CM's customer service. After months and months of research and reading countless reviews and coming on here for some advice. I have stirred away from LEDS in general. This happens to not only CM storm LED keyboards, but across the board with all LED lights. When you design this LED keyboard, the complications arises. So the answer for me was simply order them without lights. if you are lucky you can still get them for a good bargin, new, without any LED functions which I think is a good fair trade. The LEDS at first I wanted them so bad, but when you factor out these problems, you get this frustration and ending up not able to enjoy your keyboard to the fullest extent. I am so happy with my Quickfire Rapid MX Brown switches. If this one dies, which I do not think so, I will buy another regular keyboard without the LEDS, perhaps the same model but with MX blues. Logitech has same problem as well, not just CM. So let this technology sit for a year or two when they really found a good way of implenting, till then, NO LEDS for me.

Fulltopper    0

Hi, I've been meaning to buy this keyboard but this issue got me very worried.

Has this been resolved, if so, which batch exactly doesn't have this problem?

bneck    2

I dont think it is restricted to a batch, it seems to be an issue with this model. The first time my keyboard had an issue it was replaced, I am still awaiting a reply from customer service after I contacted them regarding my replacement also developing the issue

Fulltopper    0

Ah, then I won't be buying it.

Still, it is very hard to find a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with good backlight and brown switches, such a shame.

Maybe they'll revise the model...

wkd    0

Ah, then I won't be buying it.

Still, it is very hard to find a tenkeyless mechanical keyboard with good backlight and brown switches, such a shame.

Maybe they'll revise the model...

try the wasd code if you're in the US. or wait til more manufactures start using the RGB cherry mx switches