FruitLoop

Quickfire Rapid-i problem

Jesper    0

Feel like chipping in with my experience too.. as it seems to me there is a huge quality problem with the Rapid-i.

I am currently on my third Rapid-i; which just happened to have an LED fail today.

First one failed after about 4 months of use with a loose usb connector - the first time I disconnect the board to take it with me elsewhere the connector became loose.

The replacement had a faulty LED after a few days. And here about three months later the new board is failing too.

The light doesn't feel even either. I don't think it did on any of the three boards I've had.

I'll RMA this one too but I will just be waiting for the next to fail..

And because of that I'll have to use it - instead of the others I've now got laying around..

I started with an MX Red Rapid and bought a Rapid-i with MX Blues late December 2014 ( the faulty board ).

I recently bought two used CM boards, a Novatouch and a Rapid with MX Blacks.

So while my Rapid-i is a bit of a horror story I am quite happy about my Rapid and the newly acquired used boards, I haven't used the Novatouch that much yet but I really like it ( only thing I'm missing is light to show CAPS LOCK etc. ). The MX Black is so 'new' I've only tested it works.

Cudos to CM for making affordable mechanical TKL keyboards ( I've picked up mine either on sale or used ).

But shame on CM for the Rapid-i series.. and the choice of micro-USB on a keyboard with a sturdy cable..

Rant over..

Rainner    0

Same problem here with the Rapid-I.

At first I tought it might be power spikes from the power supply during power-on/wake, so I would unplug the keyboard before turning the PC on for a while, but still had LEDs go dead.

Then I tought it could be that the stock LEDs that came with it were cheap, so I soldered in some different ones and just noticed they are dying as well.

Is there any technical specs as to why this problem is happening to the Rapid-I? Like what component on the PCB is causing this? 

Thanks.

Shasdo    0

Update.

Since the 14 July I have now 11 keys that are dead.

I will try an unltimate RTM before my warranty expire and get a 4th Keyboard since they did not wanted to refund me.

Afkar    0

Nice! PBT good choice. ;) Mechanical Keyboard Master Race!

Any news so far about the ongoing investigation? Really wanted to buy the rapid i and their cool features, but a lot of problem about LED says otherwise.

Scy    1

Any news so far about the ongoing investigation? Really wanted to buy the rapid i and their cool features, but a lot of problem about LED says otherwise.

I posted at "Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:01 AM" in this thread saying I have the Quickfire Rapid-i for two weeks. Well, still have it and use it everyday and no dead LED's!

It seems I got one from a good batch? Anyways, still very happy about mine Quickfire Rapid-i. :)

Edit: I have to add that I never travel with my keyboard, it is stationary on my desk the whole time. Unless I clean my desk I move it aside a bit.

So maybe people that move the keyboard in backpacks and such get these issue's? I wouldn't know for sure.

• Upvote 1

Afkar    0

I posted at "Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:01 AM" in this thread saying I have the Quickfire Rapid-i for two weeks. Well, still have it and use it everyday and no dead LED's!

It seems I got one from a good batch? Anyways, still very happy about mine Quickfire Rapid-i. :)

Edit: I have to add that I never travel with my keyboard, it is stationary on my desk the whole time. Unless I clean my desk I move it aside a bit.

So maybe people that move the keyboard in backpacks and such get these issue's? I wouldn't know for sure.

Awesome, you're a very lucky man. What switch did you go with?

Scy    1

Awesome, you're a very lucky man. What switch did you go with?

I got brown switches, in my country "The Netherlands" they only have it in brown. But luckily that was the one I would go with anyways.

At default I keep the LED's on because I mostly game in the evening, so the amount of hours it's turned on and the life exepctancy related to that - is still looking good so far. Hopefully it will stay that way. (Lowest brightness setting though, otherwise it distracts too much).

I modified the keyboard a bit, I managed to reduce the "ping" noise from the spacebar by putting a very small cotton ball in the stem of the switch (in the '+' part).

Also there is a gap to the PCB board underneath the spacebar, I filled that with transparent tape, so no dust would go in there. I didn't replace any keys or whatsoever, I am happy with it as is.