Izaq

Quickfire Rapid-I 200Hz PWM flickering :-/

Izaq    0

It seems the Rapid-I uses a 200Hz PWM controller for lighting up the keys.

When I quickly look around the keyboard in a dark'ish room it is cuite confusing to the eye. It seems like everything is blinking or being jittery somehow.

Attached is a picture to show the effect!

Here the I-button and F9 are lit up, and I move my camera (one tenth of a second shutter timing). You can clearly see 20 white lines which equals 200Hz PWM. The keyboard is set to max luminosity. It seems the keyboard uses a 50% duty cycle.

It is really annoying when gaming since it is impossible to quickly look down on the keyboard and back up on the screen.

Is there any firmware changes planned for this, or is it a hardware issue, or do I have to return my Rapid-I to the dealer?

Im quite dissappointed about this. Changing the duty cycle to 100% would help this or lowering the drive voltage and adjusting the PWM.

post-95827-0-21691900-1418065729_thumb.jpg

post-95827-0-79109400-1418156356_thumb.jpg

post-95827-0-34508800-1418156364_thumb.jpg

Pclinde    197

Yes, I Updated to 1.19 from 1.15. It did not help.

I have 2 Rapid-i's, and I haven't experienced this problem so far. I haven't seen it at all to be honest. Can you maybe 'try' to record it from a certain angle? 

Izaq    0

I have added two more pictures of the effect.

In the first picture I've taken a snapshot of the Rapid-I with the keys 6 Y H N with full light on (max level) with steady camera (Canon 600D with 50mm f/1.8, 4.5, 1/10, 1600 ISO) The keys er clear and bright as expected.

In the second frame I move the camera to the right to show how the keys flicker (PWM modulated blinking). It is evident how the keyboard flashes 200 times a second (20 blinks every tenth second).

This flickering is quite annoying to the eye. When moving the eyes quickly around the keyboard it gets really confusing to see the buttons clearly. You can try it yourself. Try to look at your monitor and quickly look down to find any button of your choosing and then back up on your monitor. You will most likely see a trail of letters and to some extend have difficulties finding buttons quickly.

My question is whether this will be sorted somehow or I should just return the keyboard to the dealer?

Izaq    0

Hi again.

Just wanted to inform you that I am returning my keyboard to the dealer.

One of the LEDs in a button has stopped shining so the keyboard is broke - after only 10 days use.

I have given up on this product.