Zuzana Farhat

how to clean up thermal paste from motherboard

Pclinde    197

Hi, 

It won't damage your motherboard. Just turn off the computer, and the PSU. Grab a piece of kitchen roll or a paper towel and remove the thermal paste.

Cheers, Pim

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply Pim, i turned off the computer and then the psu. I opened my case and took off my Cooler Master 212 Evo and there was thermal paste everywhere. On top of my cpu, around my socket, and i think possibly in my socket. Should i remove my cpu to clean the inside of the socket, and if so how? and is it possible to clean the bottom of my cpu just incase? thanks!

world    84

If it's in your socket, I think it's very important to make sure it is cleaned up. I would recommend removing the CPU to clean the socket and the bottom of the CPU as well. However, you have to be extremely careful, as the pins on the CPU/motherboard are extremely delicate and can break very easily.

Typically, when I have any issues with thermal paste getting on things, I use a cotton balls and/or cotton swab, depending on how much there is, and very gently dab the affected locations. In the case of the CPU socket, you do not want to rub at all, since that could easily destroy the pins. When there is not much thermal paste left, I use a high alcohol content rubbing alcohol (99% or so) to clean the residue and let it dry fully before attempting to reassemble and turn on the computer. 

But, since every situation is a little different, maybe it would be helpful for you to provide some pictures so we can give more accurate advice :D

Pclinde    197

On the socket; yikes! Like World mentioned: be careful! Maybe you can provide us some pictures. :)

akula2    0

It's not hard to do it.

1) Take a clean lint cloth, preferably brand new

2) Buy a can of Isopropanol aka Isopropyl Alcohol or lend it from your mate

3) Apply the liquid to the cloth and gently wipe off the paste from the CPU etc.

This should help to solve your problem.

wazzz    0

That's what I don't like about the Hyper 212 cooler, it makes the paste go all over the place and ends up getting the paste everywhere. Luckily I didn't get any paste on the motherboard, however I did get the paste on the side of the CPU where the green part is and on the CPU arm which I managed to clean off as carefully as I could with tissue paper. Everything works fine so just clean it best you can and you should be good to go. 

If it's on the pins then it gets a bit harder, you should get some professional advice as you don't want to damage anything.

That's what I don't like about the Hyper 212 cooler, it makes the paste go all over the place and ends up getting the paste everywhere. Luckily I didn't get any paste on the motherboard, however I did get the paste on the side of the CPU where the green part is and on the CPU arm which I managed to clean off as carefully as I could with tissue paper. Everything works fine so just clean it best you can and you should be good to go. 

If it's on the pins then it gets a bit harder, you should get some professional advice as you don't want to damage anything.

The thermal paste that comes with the Hyper 212 is practically non-conductive so even if you get it on the motherboard it should not damage your motherboard. Please note that for best thermal conductivity it is to have a very thin layer of the thermal compound, to do that you just need to put a very small dab (size of a sesame) at the center of the CPU and then let the weight of the heat sink evenly spread out the thermal compound. That way you won't make a huge mess because putting too much thermal compound only reduces the performance of the heat sink.

bote110    0

just a pea size paste is needed if too much an it will be hard to take off from your cpu , I learn the hard way and ruin my Phenom II x4 965 chip , had to bite my lip and replace it with another. Like ever is pointing at is Isopropyl Alcohol 91-99% you can also us a soft tooth brush.