Sign in to follow this  
Karma Ghost

PAC-T01-EK (Coolermaster Praetorian Black)

Karma Ghost    0

This is the case I am thinking to buy... for the time being. Anyway, I have beige drives so I think I may have a problem. What I want to do is repaint the drives so they match the Praetorian perfectly. I want this to look like art. 8)

My question to Coolermaster of anyone who owns a Praetorian is... what kind of paint should I buy? Is it a glossly black or a matte finish?

And if Grump reads this, any and all input as to how to better go about doing this kind of project would be appreciated.

kirkdj    0

I just bought one and it's on the way.....I was told it's a black brushed aluminum paint....not glossy.

I found out when I was inquring about a side window for it....that's when I was told the window that cooler master has (which fits either case) only comes in mirror black.....read this:

"The Cooler Master website advertise the ATC-SPB-EKV (as well as EKA) can be used for BLACK wavemaster and Praetorian, however, that is not 100% correct. The side panel is like MIRROR BLACK finish and can match wavemaster perfectly. Praetorian is not mirror black finish and therefore the side panel does NOT 100% match the Praetorian. The size match though. If you don't care to put a mirror black side panel onto a brush finish Praetorian, you can use this side panel no problems. The size will match."

Grump    0

Hi KG,

This is the case you are talking about:

3aca37fdc30bf0fe7b5881c69e462bee.jpg

It has an anodized finish, not a painted one. Anodizing is more durable than paint -- it's a kind of metal dye. It can be removed so you can anodize it a different color or polish it, or you can paint over it -- a mirror black, for instance, to match the side panel you want, kirkdj.

There's several different things you can do to make your optical (and FDD) drives blend into the theme of your case. On my latest project, I have used the Cooler Master bezel for optical drives. It, of course, comes in brushed aluminuminuminum, but I painted it to match the accents of my computer.

gc731.jpg

I just removed the original face plate of my Sony DRU500A DVD recordable drive and replaced it with the CM bezel. I'll explain it in more detail in my worklog at the appropriate time.

Another mod I did (this was actually my first mod), I "stealthed" the optical drives. I just mounted the drive covers onto the door of the drives, used some silicone to build up an area that would hit the button so that tapping the corner of the drive cover opened the door.

fd469.JPG

fd480.jpg

This would be a good option for the Praetorian in anodized black. You could also have the CM bezel anodized, but that might be cost prohibitive (and they may be introducing an anodized version too).

Another option is to just paint the face place a complimentary color (or use vinyl dye). I'm sure other people can think up other ideas too.

Grump

Karma Ghost    0

Well I realized that after I posted that, I still have some other questions about the Praetorian. I looked at the optical drives that I have and they have an odd scheme of buttons and volume control, which is why I want to paint. I looked over some other company's bezels as well, but they either only work with their brand of case (I'm pretty sure you know what brand I mean now) or don't have the correct configuration to fit my buttons, the LED, the headphone jack, or the volume control. So I have found that painting would be the most exact way to do it.

From the picture you provide it appears neither glossy nor matte. I suppose I can get something semi-glossy for the time being to cover it, and maybe later on I can remove the anodization and give it a mirror finish (I always liked the way that looked on all those really expensive computers. Like a racecar)

And any of you Praetorian owners: what do you think of the amount of noise created by the case fans? Is it bearable to have in a bedroom?

Platinum    0

I have 3 Praetorian's in my Room/office with all CM LED Fan's (Answer yes) I can have them all running and I dont even really hear them.

I know with Better fans I can reduce the noise lvl even more.

the preatorian Black has a Full Brushed Alluminum Black finish Allso it is Fully Anodized - Very sweet case. I own 2 Silver and 1 Black "Well" LoL that's not the color anymore. I Recently had all Cases Anodized Blue/Purple/Black - Inside and out. The Black Case Front Is in the Shop atm getting 100% Polished like a mirror. just a little project im working on for some fun.

Would I sujest a CM Preatorian? Yes go for it.

I allso use the CM Front Bezel's in this Case it work's 100% Good.

(Just use the Bezel and Modify the internal part's to make the Face plate work for you:)

Need any more detail's let me know I can provide them.

Karma Ghost    0

Well Plat, if you have any ideas as to how much it would cost to anodize a bezel for my current drives, I'd much appreciate that.

And if you can't help me there, can you tell me how I should customize the CM bezel to fit my drive. Are you talking about putting a dremel to the bezel or just making it so only the open button works?

I'm not sure if my buttons are attached to the bezel or to the drive itself at the moment.

Karma Ghost    0

Well, I got my Praetorian today and... wow. That's all that you can say about a case like that, wow.

After I opened the box I felt the aluminum on this thing. It's fantastic. I was in awe of how well machined this thing felt. And I counted 10 thumbscrews on the back of it (3 for each side panel and 4 for the tray.) It's more of a work of art than a case.

I suppose that before this I didn't understand how great aluminum was. Even though my last case was aluminum, it felt a lot flimsier and thinner than this. That case I marred up badly with fingerprints, yet my Praetorian seems to repel them!

It may be because I've never worked with another motherboard tray before, but I had a little trouble getting mine out. It got stuck a few times along the way. In general it was a very smooth installation. I won't go into details about what parts I used for the production of this new comp, because I may step on CM's toes if I name brands. So I'll just go over some basics.

350W PSU

nForce2 motherboard (Abit)

2400+ Mobile CPU

80 gig SATA HD

My old GF3 Ti200 video card

Perhaps my 6.1 sound card

1 gig DDR400 (PC3200) CAS 2.5(3-3-6) RAM

Haven't gotten much installed yet as far as software is concerned, but I got some idle temperatures from BIOS. Temperatures will all be celcius.

IDLE:

CPU - 37

CASE - 22

Now since you don't get a mobile AMD chip and don't overclock it... I worked my way up to 12x200 to get 2.4 GHz out of it and get my CPU bus up to my RAM bus (DDR400 RAM and the mobile chip is 266 stock.)

IDLE:

CPU - 42

CASE - 25

I'm not particularly impressed with the temperatures, but that is because I specifically got a very low dB heatsink fan.

And so y'all know, it runs silent. I couldn't be happier with the Praetorian.

5 stars.

Karma Ghost    0

Hmmm.... I noticed one thing after a while on my new case. The HDD LED won't light up. I'm not sure if it is a faulty LED or something, but I'm sure I have it plugged in on the right spot on my Abit NF7-S motherboard. Would it have anything to do with me using a SATA drive? Because that is the only other thing I could think of being wrong with it other than a faulty LED.

Suggestions?