Hellwheels

Cooler Master Nepton 140xl Pump voltage and RPM

Hellwheels    0

I have a Nepton cpu cooler, and I have a couple of questions regarding voltage and rpms.

I have the 2 fans installed to CPU and CPU_OPT on the MB.

The pump was installed to a chassie fan header on MB since all I could read about it, it should have a constant 12v, not fluxating voltage.

The chassie fan header was set to max settings in BIOS.

BUT according to readings it puts out about 7k rpm. Could this be true?

Hellwheels    0

Yes Max fan speed is 2k rpm. But what about the rpm for the pump. 

The fans are ok, around 500-800 rpm depending on load on cpu.

The question is regarding the RPM on the pump it self, and all I can find on internet, a pump is to be fed with a constant of 12v, not a v. that is regulated via something.

The pump itself, is silent, i got good heat readings. BUT I think the reading of 7k rpm i get from it, either seems real high due to over voltage, or just wrong.

knud    129

I misread your post - my bad.

The 7K is just a misread as it only takes the voltage and doesn't report back the RPM (properly). 

You could check another fan header to see if you get the same results. Another way to check is to connect the pump via a converter plug to a molex plug and see if you get the same performance & noise level.

Nothing to worry about - but I admit, it does look a bit weird.

Hellwheels    0

The 7K is just a misread as it only takes the voltage and doesn't report back the RPM (properly). 

You could check another fan header to see if you get the same results. Another way to check is to connect the pump via a converter plug to a molex plug and see if you get the same performance & noise level.

Ok, thank you mate!

Nope, 7K is not a misread. The pump run at that RPM if voltage is set to 12v. Well, my pump can reach 6880RPM. However, even Cooler Master agree that this speed is too much. So lowering at a 4500RPM is a good thing. Also the performance will drop by only 1 degree Celsius. Here is a link where you can read about this: http://www.maximumpc.com/cooler_master_nepton_280l_review

I am running my pump at a nice and steady 3000RPM and only when CPU temp is over 70C it will ramp up to full speed (and that ramp up is because of the control software not me). However the CPU temp almost never reaches 70C in my system. I expect my pump will last well over estimated 70.000 hours.

Hellwheels    0

Thanks guys for the answers.

I am actually quite dissapointed that CM has ships a pump running around 7k rpm if they did not inteded it to do so.

Will have to look at a Fan mate or such since i cannot lower the voltage to lower then 7v, still running at around 5200 rpm.

Will also have to solve the issue with 4 - > 3 pin connector, but some getto mod will have to do i guess.

Well, it's not that bad, actually. The pump it's not intended to run at 7K FULL TIME.

But it's a good thing that it can reach that speed when is needed. Try and find 3 pin fan header on your MB and see if you can manage from BIOS to slow the pump. Silent or normal mode or a quite mode... depending on your mobo. 

Hellwheels    0

Ok. Th

Well, it's not that bad, actually. The pump it's not intended to run at 7K FULL TIME.

But it's a good thing that it can reach that speed when is needed. Try and find 3 pin fan header on your MB and see if you can manage from BIOS to slow the pump. Silent or normal mode or a quite mode... depending on your mobo.

Ok reson for me to have it to run at a constant speed are that i have read many times that a pump shall run at constant speed/voltage. If not it Will lower the lifespan seriously.