Frank Neubecker

Devastator Mouse wheel

Mike    1

I decide to live with the problem, but it hasn't happened for the last few weeks.  I have not changed anything so whether there has been an update in Windows (I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit) or there was a hardware problem that has cured itself I don't know, but I thought it worth reporting.  I will post again if the problem recurs.

I decide to live with the problem, but it hasn't happened for the last few weeks.  I have not changed anything so whether there has been an update in Windows (I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit) or there was a hardware problem that has cured itself I don't know, but I thought it worth reporting.  I will post again if the problem recurs.

Me too. I had decide to live with the problem and the problem disappeared after few days.

Pclinde    197

Me too. I had decide to live with the problem and the problem disappeared after few days.

Thanks for reporting in. I can't do much here, but thanks. :)

crab    0

I am yet another person who is having the same issues. Squeeky jittery mousewheel. If anyone is daring enough to void their warranty and has good DIY skills, maybe they can open er up and see if there's an easy fix? I don't want all us owners to be RMAing this mouse every week for the entire duration of the warranty. There must be a temporary fix while we wait to see if Cooler Master initiates a much-needed recall and proper replacement for us. I know it's a budget mouse but I mean c'mon!

UUH    0

I also have problem with my Devastator mouse. Wheel is totally unusable. Scrolling is from :)=scrolling down is really slow and it often jumps one step upwards after scrolling down. Also my Msi z97 mpower motherboard won't get past bios, when mouse is connected to usb-port. Unpluging mouse and computer starts to load operating system. I also connected to my other computer which didnt have problem with booting, but using wheel is the same.

Keyboard is working better than mouse. Only problem is that in Windows 10 technical preview you cannot use keyboard backlight or any other lights. Backlights and everything else works fine in Windows 8.1. 

Larn Conner    0

I hope I can provide somewhat of a solution that seems to have worked for me.  I noticed the wheel is kinda rubbery, so I scrapped the rubber and it had gunk on it.  I scrapped the gunk off with my fingernail and turned the wheel and kept doing that till I had scrapped a lot of it off.  Afterward I tried out the wheel and it seemed to respond better.  I've only had the mouse for about a week.

Hope this helps.

GravityWave    1

Hi. I also have this problem with the Devastator Mouse where every few scroll wheel ticks it inserts a click in the opposite direction. It is Devastating!!

I had a chat with a CM customer rep, but the only suggestion made was to submit an RMA for replacement. Clearly, that isn't a 'real' solution. I'll try cleaning the wheel as suggested above and hope it helps. I'll follow the thread and hopefully the community will figure something out before we shame CM into providing a different replacement MODEL that actually works.

GravityWave    1

There are a couple Youtube's out there showing dissassembly (VOIDS WARRANTY!!) of this mouse. The mouse jumps are also mentioned in some of the vid reviews for the Devastator. Some of the vids are to lube the wheel axis due to squeaks but show the inner workings of the mouse and how to open it. Others are specifically about the wheel jumps. Apparently, this is a HW issue with the mouse. One of the internal translation wheels in the chain for the optical encoder apparently doesn't engage well with its counterpart. Cleaning the external wheel itself and its rim do not help with this. It is suggested that this is a sizing issue for the wheel (too small apparently). So, no SW or FW fixes will address this. Apparently, even an RMA isn't a sure fix as this appears to be a design/manufacturing issue across the line.

This is so bad, I've returned to my wireless mouse, as the Devastator mouse is basically unusable due to the faulty scroll wheel capability. It looks nice, but it just doesn't work and isn't fit for purpose!

Caveat Emptor. As the song goes, ' ... the more you pay, the more it's worth."

• Upvote 1

I decided to return the mouse using an RMA.

Living in the Netherlands, I got a replacement mouse within two days, so Coolermaster service is very efficient!

I didn't even have to send over the defective mouse. A photograph of the mouse, showing that the USB cable was cut and the serial number visible, was sufficient.

So now the dead mouse is hanging on my wall as a tribute to all the deceased mice in the past :)

It is definitely a hardware problem, as the replacement mouse works without any problems.

Causeless    0

I have the same problem with the mouse wheel. It's gotten so bad that about 40% of the time, it scrolls in the opposite of the intended direction! How would normal hardware testing not catch this? The issue crops up very quickly, and is severe!

I'm going to stick with it for a while and hope it fixes itself like 2 people above mention. I'm not going to RMA it just yet if I'll get an exact same mouse with the exact same issue...

EDIT:

Thankfully, it fixed itself.