RealNC

Quick Fire XT replacement keycaps?

RealNC    0

Hello.

I bought a Quick Fire XT a few days ago. Unfortunately, the keycaps of this keyboard seem to be of extremely poor quality. After 5 days already, the letters of some keys have already worn off (the "S" and "D" look especially bad now.) The letters are normally white, but now the parts that have worn off are of a red-ish color. Also, normally they have an etched feel to them. The worn-off parts don't feel etched anymore.

This looks quite ugly. It is very disappointing to see this happening after 5 days. I suspect that by the end of the month, more keys will start looking like that.

My question is: are there keycaps I can order for this keyboard that are of acceptable quality?

world    84

Sorry to hear the keys are wearing out so much :( That's definitely not normal, and I would recommend looking into an RMA of sorts. 

As for ordering a set of keycaps, any set of cherryMX keycaps could work. Anything you're looking for in particular? (key color, lettering color, etc)

RealNC    0

It doesn't look like an RMA would do anything, as the new caps would then just wear out the same way. The "W" key has now also started to wear out. I suppose this is because my fingers are always on the WASD keys when playing Counter-Strike, and it's quite hot where I am right now (on a Greek island); 30C/86F with about 65% humidity. I guess the ink (or whatever is used to engrave the letters on the caps) isn't durable and just dissolves away.

I tried replacing the WASD keys with the red key caps that came with the keyboard, but those have a huge problem: they're bigger and stick out higher then the rest of the keys, making them useless for normal usage.

If all generic Cherry caps are compatible with this keyboard, then I guess that's good enough for me. All I want really is for the key caps not to look worn out with the engraved lettering chipped-away. Something without engraved letters would be best, probably. My main problem will be finding someone who ships this stuff, since in my region (Greece) I can't find a single online shop that sells key caps... They seem to be a niche thing.

tolga9009    4

Hi RealNC,

keycaps are indeed a "niche" product. However, there are forums and shops, which specialize on these niche products.

There are group buys organized by geekhack members, which you can find here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57761.0

You can find keycap sets here: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40

If you want to get creative, you can create your own keycaps here: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/

Most of these companies / group buys are located in the US, but international shipment is available. The stock keycaps are good imho, but if they wear out this fast, you should definitely RMA or get some replacement. The most durable (and most expensive) keycaps are double-shot PBT. It will take decades to wear them off, but they will set you back by a good bit.

Good luck ;)!