sameer

Is "CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard" compatible with Linux?

sameer    0

Hello,

I'm planning to buy "CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse".  I have CentOS 6.5 installed on my Laptop.  Before purchasing it, I wanted to make sure whether LED backlighting works on Linux OS.

knud    129

It should work normally on Linux. The scroll lock button controls the LED function. 

(If I remember correctly, Linux has the same behaviour as windows in this regard)

CM Robert    2

All of our keyboards are designed to be used with Windows machines. Now, with that aside, sometimes the Keyboard may not work right out of the box depending on which Distro you're using. If you do some research on the internetz, there are quite a few individuals who have some different solutions for this keyboard to work with their distro. I'm not familiar with CentOS, yet, here is a link as an example for Fedora: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=296728

So to reiterate, Cooler Master does not directly support linux or OSX, but as with the linux community, it'll take a bit of research to get it to work perfectly. FYI.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

sameer    0

Hurrey!  I just got my new CM Storm Devastator Keyboard-Mouse Combo.   Thank you very much CM Robert.  The link you provided did the trick.  The backlight works perfectly fine by executing the command mentioned on Fedora forum.

I'm very happy.  :) Thanks a million.

sameer    0

@All:
I googled and found out how to make backlight work with scroll lock key.  I thought to share it with all of you.

Here's a step-by-step instructions on how to make backlight work on CM Storm Devastator keyboard and how to bind it to Scroll Lock key so as to make it work just like you would do on windows.

Please note that I always login to my GNOME Desktop as a root and that's how the following procedure was written.  And I use CentOS and RHEL.

1. Install "xbindkeys" if not already installed on your system.  You can download it from here.

http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

Create a default configuration for xbindkeys by executing following command

xbindkeys --defaults > ~/.xbindkeysrc

2. Next, copy-paste the following code in a blank file and save it by any name you want.  I saved it as "led-toggle.sh" in root's home dirctory.

#!/bin/bash
MASK=`xset q | grep LED | cut -d' ' -f 21 | cut -b 8`
if [ $(($MASK & 4)) = 4 ]; then
    xset -led 3
else
    xset led 3
fi

Make the file executable by issuing following command.

chmod +x /root/led-toggle.sh

3. Modify ~/xbindkeysrc and add following code at the end of the file

"/root/toggle-led.sh"
Scroll_Lock

4. Now the last step, this would make everything automated so that you don't have to execute any commands everytime you login to your system.  All you have to do is modify /etc/profile and add the location of binary file "xbindkeys".

If you don't know the locations of "xbindkeys" then execute following command to get it.

whereis xbindkeys

On my system, I got "/usr/local/bin/xbindkeys"

Next, modify /etc/profile and add "/usr/local/bin/xbindkeys" at the end of the file.

Now just logout and then login back to your system.  LED should work with Scroll lock key now.

Those who don't wish to logout, simply execute "xbindkeys" in terminal window. :)

All the information posted here is with reference to following two links.

I would like to thank to CoolerMaster, CM Robert, FedoraForum and ArchLinux forum.  I'm very happy to see my keyboard backlight working.

Thank you for reading.  Hope it helps!

Be happy!

Bye.

CM Robert    2

Is it possible to have an LED command on a Windows machine?  I don't want to turn Scroll Lock on, but I do want the backlight.

That one we currently do not have a work around for. The LED command is bound to Scroll Lock within the windows keyboard driver. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I'm not currently aware if anyone has had a chance to overcome this. Our new Octane keyboard is actually a response for folks who have issues, concerning the scroll lock key with some more bells and whistles added to it.

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/octane/

Check it out, if this may be an option for you. We will hopefully post for information on availability and pricing for this set within a few weeks. Keep on eye on our main page, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. for news.

I wish I had known t

That one we currently do not have a work around for. The LED command is bound to Scroll Lock within the windows keyboard driver. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I'm not currently aware if anyone has had a chance to overcome this. Our new Octane keyboard is actually a response for folks who have issues, concerning the scroll lock key with some more bells and whistles added to it.

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/octane/

Check it out, if this may be an option for you. We will hopefully post for information on availability and pricing for this set within a few weeks. Keep on eye on our main page, facebook, twitter, reddit, etc. for news.

I wish I had known about this before committing to buying a Devastator... :(