dinosaur

Bogus AZERTY keyboard layout for CM Storm Quick Fire XT

dinosaur    0

Greetings,

I just received a CM Storm Quick Fire XT (model SGK-4030-GKCL1-FR) that I ordered from an Internet site. It's a great keyboard, but there's one very annoying oddity about it: the AZERTY layout is non-standard/bogus with regards to the number keys on the top left row (i.e. not the numeric keypad, but the main keyboard part numeric keys).

Unlike QWERTY keyboards, numeric keys are SHIFTed keys on AZERTY keyboards, and the Quick Fire displays the numbers at the bottom on the keys, instead of on the top.

Since pictures are better than a lengthy explanation, I'm attaching two scans: one of a normal/standard AZERTY keyboard, and the other of the Quick Fire.

post-93362-0-38924700-1408809465_thumb.png

post-93362-0-60479100-1408809486_thumb.png

As you can see, the numbers are in the wrong place, interverted with the accented characters and special signs that are non-SHIFTed keys on AZERTY keyboards (and should therefore appear on the bottom left part of the keys).

Interestingly enough, the ")°]" and "=+}" keys are properly laid out on the Quick Fire while pertaining to the bogus line of numeric keys.

I alas could not spot this issue when placing my order on the Internet website (else, to be quite frank, I won't have bought this keyboard...), because they alas only display pictures of QWERTY keyboards.

So, my question is: could you guys please provide me with a set of properly printed keycaps to replace that bogus set I got ?

world    84

I'm not familiar with how Cooler Master prints AZERTY layout keyboards, but I'm wondering if the position of the numbers vs symbols was on purpose.

In the QWERTY versions of some CM Storm keyboards, the numbers are printed at the top of the key instead of the bottom, which is non-standard as well.

dinosaur    0

I'm not familiar with how Cooler Master prints AZERTY layout keyboards, but I'm wondering if the position of the numbers vs symbols was on purpose.

In the QWERTY versions of some CM Storm keyboards, the numbers are printed at the top of the key instead of the bottom, which is non-standard as well.

The convention, for all keyboards I ever used in over 3 decades of computing, has always been that the shiftted characters are printed at the top, and non-shifted ones at the bottom... This is also true of all the other keys of the CM keyboard: only the numeric keys have got their shifted/non-shifted labels inverted !

For example, the opening parenthesis is wrongly printed on top (with "5" at the bottom) while the closing parenthesis is (properly) printed at the bottom. The punctuation keys, at the bottom right of the keyboard also got properly printed, with shifted characters on top...

Anyway, the question was: could CM send me a replacement set of keycaps (I'll gladly return the badly printed ones) ?...

world    84

I know that the convention for keyboards is to have the shifted character at the top (that's why the shift key often has an up arrow, right?)

My point was to say that the way your keyboard has the printing is likely the way cooler master is printing the keycaps for some of their keyboards, since one of my cooler master keyboards has the number/symbol positions inverted, but only for the number keys. Thus, if CM sent you a replacement set of keycaps, it would likely be exactly the same as the set you already have, unfortunately.

dinosaur    0

Thus, if CM sent you a replacement set of keycaps, it would likely be exactly the same as the set you already have, unfortunately.

Well, perhaps a CM official could deign reply to my question and enlighten us all ?... Or should I just return the keyboard to the retailer ?...

knud    129

CM Doesn't have alternative key caps for this keyboard.

Regarding the numbers on the caps: You are right, it is not consistent. Main reason is the placing of the LED underneath it. Models with LED backlight have the numbers 'on top', because those are considered primary.

dinosaur    0

CM Doesn't have alternative key caps for this keyboard.

Regarding the numbers on the caps: You are right, it is not consistent. Main reason is the placing of the LED underneath it. Models with LED backlight have the numbers 'on top', because those are considered primary.

Do you mean that AZERTY CM keyboards with LED backlighting got properly laid out keys (i.e. with numbers on top left, in their proper, shifted position) ?

If yes, then it sounds like you *do* have alternative keycaps, after all... doesn't it ?

In any case, and since you (thankfully) recognize that this layout is plain inconsistent, won't it be a Good Thing to fix CM's AZERTY keyboards once and for all (and then to send me replacement key caps :-P) ???

CM Robert    2

Hey Guys,

The numbers were located they way they were as the LEDs on the board are at the top of the keycap.
For them to be illuminated properly, the postioning was changed. I have provided an image of how an LED is normally installed on the CHERRY MX switch which correlates to the keycap design.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/images/detailed/0/3mm-white-led-switch.jpg

Please let me know if you guys have additional questions.

dinosaur    0

Hey Guys,

The numbers were located they way they were as the LEDs on the board are at the top of the keycap.

For them to be illuminated properly, the postioning was changed. I have provided an image of how an LED is normally installed on the CHERRY MX switch which correlates to the keycap design.

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/images/detailed/0/3mm-white-led-switch.jpg

Please let me know if you guys have additional questions.

I do not care about LEDs: there's no LED on the CM Storm Quick Fire XT !...

However, I *do* care about a *proper* layout of the characters on the keys, and the current layout is PLAIN BOGUS !

Please, fix this issue and send me the fixed keycaps.

Failure from your part to provide a proper solution will lead me to return the keyboard to the retailer and spread the word about your bogus keyboard layouts.

Have a nice day.

CM Robert    2

I do not care about LEDs: there's no LED on the CM Storm Quick Fire XT !...

However, I *do* care about a *proper* layout of the characters on the keys, and the current layout is PLAIN BOGUS !

Please, fix this issue and send me the fixed keycaps.

Failure from your part to provide a proper solution will lead me to return the keyboard to the retailer and spread the word about your bogus keyboard layouts.

Have a nice day.

Hi Dinosaur,

This is the keycaps we use across the board for this keyboard which we use for multiple models. So we do not have alternative keycaps in different styles. If you wish, since they are Cherry MX keys, you can purchase different keycaps to suite your style from a variety of locations online like (http://techkeys.us/collections/keys) to suite your needs. I apologize we can't do more in the limitations that we have.