baldan

Xtraflo 120mm - Simply can't install

baldan    0

I bought two case fan Blade Master XtraFlo 120mm and the metal screws that comes with it simply don't fit on the holes of the fan.

The holes are smooth and it is very hard to fasten the metal screws through it, I tried to push it pretty damn hard but it didn't work, and now I have one screw metal stuck on one of the holes.

So I'm wondering, should I buy others metal screws that fits or I am just a noob (and this is my first time trying to install by myself)?

Because I don't want to break it, but these things simply can't fit, god I'm sad now.

world    84

Almost all case fans use smooth plastic holes and metal screws, so you have to push pretty hard to get the screws in. Pretty much everyone uses the typical screw, so it's a bit difficult to find a good alternative. 

One way I can think of to get around this is to go to a hardware store and buy a bolt that's long enough to go completely through the fan and whatever you're mounting it on, and then buy a nut to hold the end. In certain situations, this method might not work well due to the nuts/bolts getting in the way of stuff, but in most cases, this should work.

• Upvote 1

baldan    0

One way I can think of to get around this is to go to a hardware store and buy a bolt that's long enough to go completely through the fan and whatever you're mounting it on, and then buy a nut to hold the end. In certain situations, this method might not work well due to the nuts/bolts getting in the way of stuff, but in most cases, this should work.

Ok, I think I have everything here so I'll give it a shot.

And about the standard solution (using typical screw), right now the screw is half way on the hole, he's missing like 3mm to completely pass through the hole, should I push and try to get it done? I don't know if the plastic will break, because the hole is almost on the edge of the plastic, so... yeah, first time installing fans. =[

Btw, thanks for helping me.

world    84

No problem, I'm glad to help! thumbsup.gif

I've never had a fan screw breaking the plastic on a fan, but It's possible. I've definitely had cases where the screw just doesn't seem to want to go in no matter how hard I turn the screwdriver though. If you're afraid of the plastic breaking, I would just back the screw out of the hole.

Sometimes getting the screw completely out and screwing it back in allows it to go through fine, even though it was stuck before, so maybe you could try that.

baldan    0

I will try everything you told me and I will come here again to give a feedback.

Since I'm from Brazil now is 1am here, and tomorrow I have to go to work and watch world cup, so... I will try my best to come back in like 13hrs from now.

Really thanks again.

baldan    0

Is there any specific oil for that? 

Now I'm working, but I will update here when I got home and try to install the fans again.

Thank you both guys.

Sunday Morning    174

Is there any specific oil for that? 

Now I'm working, but I will update here when I got home and try to install the fans again.

Thank you both guys.

Nope ... but this is my own skill  :D

baldan    0
I managed to install one fan on the bottom of my case, right in front of the power supply and under my graphic card.

And yes, this time I used a better screwdriver and managed to put every screw correctly.

The only problem now is that I need to buy two 4-pin adapter to be able to plug both fans on my power supply, because others fans come with the adapter, but this one didn't.

world    84

Have you tried plugging the fan into your motherboard instead of into the power supply?