dmcm71

Problems with my XB EVO

dmcm71    1

So today I moved my kit from it's temporary storage crate 'case' into the XB EVO I just bought.

One of the benefits of a case like this is it's easy to get to all the motherboard screws, particularly that awkward one that sits at the top and is normally obscured by the CPU HSF. No problems with this case, with the side panel off, it's completely accessible :)

Now the problems. Firstly, there were two motherboard spacers already in place but they were taller than normal (and the ones supplied in the bag) and had a strange protrusion. With no explanation in the manual, I presumed this must be a mistake as surely you want all the spacers the same height, to keep the board flat. However, even with normal spacers in all the ATX holes my board doesn't sit flat and if the top edge of the board is flat against the spacers, the bottom edge is raised off them and vice-versa, as if there was something in the middle that the board is pivoting on, like a see-saw. It may be that my board has warped a bit over time but it's been laid horizontal since I got it so, so it's not like the weight of the HSF and GPU was hanging off the board (this is actually one of the reasons why I've been looking for/planning to make a case like the XB EVO, to avoid that and hopefully prolong the life of my boards).

I tried removing the middle middle spacer, which helped a bit but it's still not great, so I've just done the screws up very losely for now to avoid straining the board but obviously I can't leave it like that forever and need to make it secure some time.

The other problem is that the USB3 cable to the front panel appears to be broken as it absolutely won't plug into my motherboard (MSI 990FXA-GD80) header. I tried for ages but I was worried I was just going to snap the header off the board. I then looked through my motherboard box and found a rear-panel USB3 bracket and that plugs into the header no problem. I checked and the header does have the pin removed to match the XB EVO cable (obviously this is an industry standard thing), so there's no reason I can see why it shouldn't go on, other than it's been manufactered faulty with the holes at the wrong spacing or something. The cable that came with the motherboard doesn't have any holes blocked off but that doesn't matter, as long as the header is standard, which it seems to be.

Might Cooler Master be able to send me a replacement USB 3 cable/bracket, as I absolutely need to have the USB3 ports on the front of my case?

Fitting my graphics card was also very difficult, as with the motherboard tray screwed in, the spacing between the rear panel and the board didn't seem right, so that the card was pushed a bit towards the front of the case and thus wouldn't line up with the PCI-E slot. I managed to get it in by loosening the tray screws and nudging the tray towards the front of the case a bit and then I managed to get the card to go in the slot. I'm not sure I should have to do that though.

Regarding the HDD cage, there's no way I can get two 3.5" HDD in there. I tried putting one in the bottom slot first but due to the raised edge of the case, it makes the drive go in at an angle and then it just got stuck about 3/4 of the way in (if you think about it, the angle increase the more it goes in) and it took me a worrying 10 minutes to get it out again! An SSD in the adapter tray goes in OK as the plastic tray can bend a bit as it goes in, which a metal HDD obviously can't.

Has anyone else run into these problems? I still love the form of the case and I'm very happy I found it but these issues do let it down a bit and make it feel a bit cheap and not as well tested as it should have been.

EDIT: Ah, I forgot the HDD cage is removable in the EVO, so I guess I'm meant to remove it to fit a 3.5" HDD in the bottom slot. In my defence though, the manual does show two HDD being inserted in place and doesn't suggest it needs to be removed.

world    84

I must have missed this post last week :(

Have you tried contacting support to see if they can send you a replacement cable/bracket?

About the motherboard headers, are the protrusions really round? If the protrusion is a ring, it's meant to pop into the holes of the motherboard. 

dmcm71    1

I must have missed this post last week :(

Have you tried contacting support to see if they can send you a replacement cable/bracket?

About the motherboard headers, are the protrusions really round? If the protrusion is a ring, it's meant to pop into the holes of the motherboard. 

No worries. I did contact support but fixed the problem with the USB cable myself by scraping off the four lugs top and bottom, either side of the central key, with a scalpel. It seems the header on the motherboard had similar lugs so there was no way it would go in otherwise and even if I'd somehow managed to force it in, I doubt I'd ever get it out again. The cable that came with the motherboard didn't have such lugs, so I'm not sure what's 'standard' but I'd be surprised if the board had a non-standard header fitted.

As for the motherboard spacers, you might be right that the protrusions are meant to pop into the motherboard holes but I've never seen anything like this before and I'm not sure if the protrusion is big enough to then accept a screw to secure the board, so it seems easier just to use normal spacers and screws, particularly as I can't do the edge screws up properly due to the fact that the board is see-sawing in the middle. I'll try and check with another board soon, to see if it's a problem with the board or the case.

Ryan Pace    2

The protrusions on the spacers are indeed intended to slide inside the holes on the motherboard and then you screw them down. Never had an issue with one at all.

I'm not sure what's going on with the USB 3.0 header. It fit my Gigabyte motherboard perfectly.

I have the adapter and a single 3.5" HDD in the drive cage so I'm not sure about the angle you mentioned. I don't think I'd have an issue putting two 3.5" HDDs in mine though.

dmcm71    1

Oh well. I can't see any real advantage to the protrusions on those two standoffs, so I don't suppose it matters that I swapped them for normal ones.

I've just fitted the USB 3 lead from my Dad's NZXT Source 530 case to his Asus Z97-A board and that went on no problem. Looking at the plug on that, it doesn't have the large tags that the HAF XB EVO one had, so I guess it was a manufacturing fault that caused them. No big deal, it was easy enough to slice them off.

I haven't got round to removing the HDD cage to fit the 2nd 3.5" HDD but it seems to be the way to go, as it really doesn't seem designed to go in with it in place, not unless you have a bendable drive anyway ;)

dmcm71    1

Could well be. I changed my motherboard to a Z97-A recently and they didn't fit through the holes in that any better than on my MSI 990FXA-GD80, so I'm pretty sure they're not meant to.