dmcm71

HAF XB and EVO storage spaces

dmcm71    1

I'm a bit confused about how many drives the HAF XB and EVO can take, as they look identical from the front but the XB page says:

5.25" Drive Bays     2

3.5" Drive Bays       2 (from X-Dock)

2.5" Drive Bays       6 (2 from X-Dock)

whilst the EVO page says:

5.25" Drive Bays     2

3.5" Drive Bays       4

2.5" Drive Bays       4 (from 3.5" drive bays)

so doesn't mention an X-Dock, although the main page says it has two X-Dock bays.

So clearly they both have two 5.25" bays on the left. What exactly do we have on the right for each model? I can see two removable 3.5" bays (the X-Dock I presume), so how does the EVO have four 3.5" bays and does it only take either four 2.5" drives or 3.5" drives or both, for a total of eight drives? With the XB, it seems to suggest we can either have two 3.5" drives or two 2.5" drives using the two X-Dock bays. Where do the other four 2.5" drives go?

It would be helpful if there were more pictures showing how this all works. Apart from the drive capacity, are there any other differences between the XB and EVO?

I am extremely excited by this case, as I've been planning to build something similar for a while but it wouldn't have ended up looking half as good :)

dmcm71    1

Thanks. I'm still not clear though and it's not clear to me what those three removable drive cages are for.

Does the HAF XB EVO have two X-Docks, which take either 3.5" or 2.5" drives and another two internal drive bays that will take either 3.5" or 2.5" drives?

Does the HAF XB have two X-Docks, which take either 3.5" or 2.5" HDD/SDD and another four internal drive bays, which will only take 2.5" drives?

ScienceBoy    2

Thanks. I'm still not clear though and it's not clear to me what those three removable drive cages are for.

Does the HAF XB EVO have two X-Docks, which take either 3.5" or 2.5" drives and another two internal drive bays that will take either 3.5" or 2.5" drives?

Does the HAF XB have two X-Docks, which take either 3.5" or 2.5" HDD/SDD and another four internal drive bays, which will only take 2.5" drives?

both are correct :)

dmcm71    1

Thanks, that's fine then as 2*2.5" and 2*3.5" drives is all I'm likely to ever need :)

I'll probably stick the SSDs in the X-Docks at the front, with the HDDs further back where their noise might be less noticeable and they'll get a bit more airflow.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Pace    2

I've had both so here you go. The drive bay is the only difference. Everything else on these two cases is exactly the same.

HAF XB:

2 - 5.25" drive bays

2 - X-Docks capable of either a 2.5 or 3.5" HDD or SSD

1 - 2.5" HDD/SSD cage that has rails to hold four (4) 2.5" drives

6 Drives total

HAF XB Evo

2 - 5.25" drive bays

2 - X-Docks capable of either 2.5 or 3.5" HDD or SSD

1 - 3.5" HDD/SSD cage that has rails to hold two (2) 3.5" HDDs or four (4) 2.5" SSD/HDDs with adapters. One 3.5" to 2.5" x 2 adapter is included with the case.

Up to 6 Drives total

The hard drive cages aren't swappable between the two cases without modification because the screw holes don't line up at all.

• Upvote 1

fireheadman    0

An old thread, but seemed relevant to my question.

Looking to buy this case for a NAS build.    I have 12x 2.5" SAS drives.

For the 5.25" bays, I plan on using these  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIGBUSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CC8OF6MLLP8U&coliid=IPNJG239K3BSN

(picture is below).

Question I have is...  Has anyone attempted to modify the 3.5" bay side of the case (cut the front face and frame) to fit a 5.25" bay, then purchase another 5.25" cage (if available)...  this would give me the room to install 4 of the inserts to hold a total of 16x 2.5" sata/sas drives.

I love the form factory of those case, which is why I am looking for any inputs....

61x93CX3x-L._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by fireheadman

Ryan Pace    2

An old thread, but seemed relevant to my question.

Looking to buy this case for a NAS build.    I have 12x 2.5" SAS drives.

For the 5.25" bays, I plan on using these  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIGBUSO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CC8OF6MLLP8U&coliid=IPNJG239K3BSN

(picture is below).

Question I have is...  Has anyone attempted to modify the 3.5" bay side of the case (cut the front face and frame) to fit a 5.25" bay, then purchase another 5.25" cage (if available)...  this would give me the room to install 4 of the inserts to hold a total of 16x 2.5" sata/sas drives.

I love the form factory of those case, which is why I am looking for any inputs....

61x93CX3x-L._SL1200_.jpg

I would have to take a look at the XB Evo I still have but I think you're going to be putting a lot of work into it to try to modify. If I remember right there are quite a few structural elements for the X-Docks that share a wall with the 5.25" drive bays.

I'll try to remember to get the case out when I get home and take some pics for you to look at. Space is at a premium in these, even though they are large cases.

Edited by Ryan Pace