MrJet

Is this thing actually safe to use?

absolutely safe.  I've got the earlier version in my tower and it works fine.  I believe there is a back bracket that secures it through the motherboard so the weight of it is not supported by the CPU/Socket.  I'm going water cooling on my next build but I may swap my old V8 out for the V8 GTS on my current tower.  

Kevin_C    0

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/v8-gts/

I've been looking at that CPU cooler recently. I can't help but wonder if this thing is safe to use in a normal tower case. I just can't picture it staying stable or not tearing itself free of its housing over time.

Does it require any special kind of reinforcement?

Works just fine on any standard build :) It comes with the mounting hardware you need to mount it to the motherboard, and doesn't rip itself off :P

cota472    3

If you look at the spec sheet and install manual, it has supplied mounting plates that mount through the motherboard and puts the weight being supported by the mobo and not the socket. I have had one that was bigger than this and stood out further, I had the same concern, but it was fine.