DeltaD

Silly Q but need help with new case :)

DeltaD    1

Hi guys

New to CM & also forum (& a female to boot) so hope you'll have patience wtih me in asking what I know is a bit of a silly Q.

I've just invested in an Elite 334u case.  See the front panels that you have to knock out to allow for your CD Drive/s - do those have to be fully broken out or is there a way to do it more gently that won't destroy them or the case?  I'm talking about the black mesh ones.  I've no problem with the internal metal blanking plates - it's just these fancy front panels I'm unsure how to remove.  I should perhaps also say that I'm disabled & have rather dire hand arthritis so not much strength if such is likely to be needed as my attempts at "popping" them out/off thus far haven't net me much gain :(.

Thanks.

DD

Look for the latches - they're usually made from plastic so it might a bit hard to remove the covers when they're just new. Don't put too much force - some of the easily breaks.

• Upvote 1

CM Glenn    7

Hi DeltaD, welcome to the forum!  :)

Could you let us know if your problem has been solved, or if you need some more assistance? 

Cheers

Hi guys

New to CM & also forum (& a female to boot) so hope you'll have patience wtih me in asking what I know is a bit of a silly Q.

I've just invested in an Elite 334u case.  See the front panels that you have to knock out to allow for your CD Drive/s - do those have to be fully broken out or is there a way to do it more gently that won't destroy them or the case?  I'm talking about the black mesh ones.  I've no problem with the internal metal blanking plates - it's just these fancy front panels I'm unsure how to remove.  I should perhaps also say that I'm disabled & have rather dire hand arthritis so not much strength if such is likely to be needed as my attempts at "popping" them out/off thus far haven't net me much gain :(.

Thanks.

DD

First thing, welcome to our forum.  Second, not a silly question at all. 

For most of our cases, the mesh cover is integrated into the big front panel at the front of the case.  In order to remove the bay cover, you need to remove the front panel by pulling from the bottom and angling it outwards towards you.  Once you remove the front panel, the mesh cover is secured 2 clamps (1 each side).  Releasing those clamps will release the bay cover in question.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

• Upvote 2

DeltaD    1

My apologies - mustn't have ticked for the Forum to email me with replies so thought nobody had answered my query until I checked just now :(.

But YES - thanks SO much for your answers - I did actually manage it in the end but given my arthritic hands, had to get my brother to help :).  Took him a whilie to figure out how they were held but once we did it was rather obvious :mellow:.

Now I've another query - this time relating to fans.  The case only came with one fan at the rear, so I installed one I'd bought off Ebay a while back (for my other case) which I thought had a Molex connector - however, try as I might it won't connect to a Molex power lead primarily because it's also got holes rather than pins.  In looking on Ebay at specific Coolermaster fans many appear to have totally different connectors  (with 6 pins in 2 layers of 3 I think).  Could you possibly outline some likely types of connector and what they're supposed to fit to?

Thanks again for your patience.

DD

Not a problem.  For the most part, Fans have a 3 pin or 4 pin connector at the end with a molex adapter cable that is removable.  You would connect the fan's 3 pin/4pin to the motherboard and have it powered that way or you can use the moles adapter cable and connect it to the power supply directly.

• Upvote 1

DeltaD    1

Forgive my denseness but I can't figure out where a 3-pin connector would attach to (perhaps because I'm only familiar with the 4 pin variety) :(  Could you also confirm if the 4 pin variety only come in one type - what's throwing me at the moment with this fan, is that it has a 4-pin connector that's the same as those available on the power leads i.e. both have holes rather than one having pins.  Currently I've used 5 power connectors (3 drives & 2 fans) and there are another 2 power connectors with holes available.

Don't know if any of that makes sense but at any rate, if i could figure where the 3-pin connector attaches then I could buy a fan with that type instead.

Thanks for your input & patience.

Not a problem at all.  Here is a good diagram of the types of connectors there are for fans:

molex-en.png

The ones that come with the case are the 3 pin with tachometer and the molex large.  The 3 pin is hardwired coming from the fan with a molex large adapter that is removable.

DeltaD    1

Ahh = thanks so much for that - the type I'm working with currently are all the 2 pin (which I would have called 4 pin) Molex only where that one in the diagram has pins, mine (for some odd reason) has holes :(.  Hence currently I can't find a way to connect it - got what I thought was a converter but turned out to be just an extension which left me no better off.  If I get a chance tomorow I'll take a pic so you can it for what it is - maybe make things clearer.  Thanks again.