bobby3605

First build - Need Advice

bobby3605    1

Hi, I am making a $650 budget computer I *need* advice on parts. I'm afraid that this won't be a good build. The only things i need are on the list. Please give advice. List - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3eyDr 

I am planning to overclock the cpu to about 4 Ghz

If anyone knows a decent mouse and keyboard for $30 could you tell me. I haven't been about to find the cm storm devastator in stock

• Upvote 1

CM Jerry    43

Hello, 

After seeing your list, I reckon the components you chose are good and the budget is well-control!

On my opinion, how about choosing MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC? It's cheaper ($169.99) then you have an extra budget to get better keyboard and mouse kit.

And, I'm not sure if you will upgrade the hardware in the future, I think it would be better if you choose a power with higher watt, especially you will overclock CPU (even GPU)

Do you have other options with your gaming keyboard and mouse? 

Anyway, congratulation for your upcoming new system :)

bobby3605    1

I haven't been a huge fan of rebates. You just get a check. I'm only 13. Don't have a bank account. On Pc part picker it says the system only needs 365W wouldn't a 430W power supply he good enough for overclocking? I updated the list for the MSi card seems to have better features here's new link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fxgf

bobby3605    1

Also I don't have any other keyboard and mice in mind. Want a backlit keyboard current one isn't at night can't see keys without light on :(

bobby3605    1

Been looking at parts should I get a fx 6300 $30 less only 6 core. Or will it bottleneck the gtx 660

knud    129

If you want to overclock, you need a stronger PSU. 550W or higher to be on the safe side.

FX6300 should be OK for the GTX660. But keep in mind the FX6300 is an almost 2 year old CPU already. 

(i'm not too familiar with AMD cpu's, but there should be a new model available, if you want that.)

bobby3605    1

I talked to my dad a bit he told me to do all the mail in rebates so i kept the fx 8320 and got a 535W psu and the cm storm devestator is back in stock for $30 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3g7x4 I will probably order later today $25 off with promo codes ends tomorrow

clorenz    2

Honestly on the PSU I would've gone with a 550W or higher as stated by Knud. I do a lot of OC'n for fun and competitions myself and you don't want to have lack of power/wattage when it comes to that because it can cause you to scratch your head and make you wonder what's up. But all in all looks like a decent build you have going :)