rivrbyte

7 year old CM690, need updated top cover with 3.0 USB???

rivrbyte    0

Hello!

Back in 2007, I purchased a Cooler Master CM690 ATX Full Tower (before the CM690 II,or the CM690 III came out.

The top cover had 2 x 2.0 USB, Audio/headphones, one eSata, and one Firewire.  I am getting ready to build a new Computer, and getting all my internal parts together. (Attached photos)

has anyone experienced what i'm going through with updating the top cover, or just the top header connection plate, so that the new board can utilize the newest 3.0 USB?

The 7 year old motherboard was a MSI P35 Platinum #7345, and the new replacement is a MSI B85-G41 PC_Mate Mobo.

Some have told me if i want to keep this case. i would have to buy a third party 3.0 USB/SD reader/ Audio/headphone connector that fits into one of the bays in front. really?  Others have told me this should work with the case I have, it's just that I am not a experienced builder, and am not really sure what connectors go into what board headers in order to use both the rear and front I/O plug-ins.

It's just much more convenient to use headphones that plug into the top, or plug in the external HDD, instead of moving everything to get to the back, to plug them in.

(That 3rd party bay connector is a Silverstone # FP32B-E...SD Reader, 3.0USB,Audio/headphones) I would rather get a new top cover that may fit this older CM 690 case, that would solve most of my problems.

PSU~

*When I built this computer 7 years ago, I included a Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU, and the more peeps I talk to about this new build today, they tell me that 700w is way overkill, and all I needed was a 500 or 550w PSU....Some tell me to replace whenever i rebuild a computer, and others tell me to leave it in, and that the power won't hurt. And then i hear that the newer motherboards have to have a PSU to be certified or have something on the board to work with it.....Should i be concerned, or just go with my old PSU?

Thank you!

post-91843-0-82256500-1393135146_thumb.jpg

post-91843-0-38323800-1393135156_thumb.jpg

rivrbyte    0
I also have heard MANY MANY suggestions from people about what's good, and what's trash, but I think I narrowed it down to these...otherwise, I'll never finish picking out parts, and if I do not soon, then the DDR3 memory will then be DDR8.

Mobo - MSI B85-G41 PC_Mate ATX 1150     $   70.00  (Newegg)

PSU - Seasonic Gold Certified 550W              $   75.00   (Newegg)

CPU Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO                  $   35.00   (Fry's)

SSD - Samsung EVO MLC 550GB                 $ 157.00  (Newegg)

CPU - 4th Gen. i7 4770 3.4 GHz LGA 1150   $ 240.00 (Micro center)

.....Fry's replaced this with an i7 4771 

4th gen. $318.00 (Frys)

RAM - Corsair XMS 2x8GB DDR3 1600       $ 170.00   (Fry's)

I called CM, and they discontinued that CM690 Case, so NO, I can not get that top cover, so i'll have to either use the back 3.0 USB, or buy a third party bay multi port with the 3.0 USB on it and connect that to the 3.0 USB on the MSI Board 

Thank you!

I am in the same situation and I also read in the forums that replacement power or reset switches are not available ( but maybe switchable ie power for reset or vice-versa ) but I would like to connect the usb3 connector on my MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 motherboard to a usb connector on top of my case. or I need to downgrade my 850w Coolermaster? power supply to a 380 antec and stick with the a6-5400k this board was bundled with and not upgrade to an a10 and addon amd card.

update I found a "9 pin male to 20 pin female" adapter cable that takes the USB 2 part of the USB 3 motherboard connector out to a pinned USB 2 header ( it will make my motherboard connect to the case's usb but only at up to usb2 max speeds ) I am happy

Edited by Wesley McKay

Sunday Morning    177

Hi Welcome to CM forum

My Suggestion try create the ticket or try contact CM agent via live chat and tell them regarding this issue,maybe they can help you out.

You could mod the case ports, if you feel brave enough. :happy3:

Your TT PSU is fine, but if it's 7 years old, if you can front the $ to replace it, I would.  Or you could open it up and inspect the internal components for any signs of electrical distress (charring, leaking caps, etc.).

My only other comment is that the DRAM price seems a bit high?