strawman

Serious PSU bussiness! Help on V-series questions.

strawman    1

I have build a few mining rigs (cryptocurrency mining) past months and on my last order on PSU's when I couldnt order my preffered brand I got my hands on 3 Coolermaster V850 units.
I had only 1 in action so far since I'm waiting for a cable order from china but since my order arrived I'm about to scale up my mining operation. 
So my design right now is any z87motherboard I can get which supports more than 4 graphic cards, 2x PSU's (1000w+650w/850w-depending on gpu's), 5-6 GPU's - 280x, 290...

Now since I was pleased with the stability of my first V850 I ordered 8x v850 gold psu's from a german seller who claimed he can deliver within a week.

But this is where the problems come in.
Since I only use z87 motherboards with i5/i7 motherboards so I can resell the gear easier and have a more stable and powerefficient plattform. I started running gameservers on the cpus since they only idle around.
When I setup the only rig which is running a v850, the psu started to make weird electrical noises - sort of clicking. 

The affected machine specs:

asus z87 pro

i5 4670

3x r9 280x

8 gig ram

samsung 840 pro ssd

CM v850

I checked what I draw from the wall and it was 685 - 720 Watts (this value goes up and down because of cpu usage).

I then swapped it for a 860watt psu from another brand and everything was fine. Now I tested the other 2 V850 and all did the same nose when going above 700 watts. The funny thing is that when i up the vddc on my gpus so I pull 750watts the v850 has no problem with that but when I use the cpu and reach 700watts its game over..the psu's cant deliver enough voltage and the thing starts clicking + the gpus wont get enough power.

That confused me because I run a few psu's and each of them is running on its max, for example a 2x 280x rig with an older i7950 no ssd but hdd...powerdraw from the wall 612-635 watt on a 4 year old 650w PSU (also gold standard).

Is there a problem or something I should know about the V850? Not single 12v rail? (I have only single rail psu's). Why is only the CM ones clicking under load? I tried 2x 290 @ 300 watt each + cpu game servers running - no problem. As soon as go 3x gpu (200watt each)it goes bananas.

I planned to make 4 rigs running:  6x r9 280x-vapor-x powered by 2x v850 with an i7 running a css server or similar.
Now I have doubts that its supposed to do the clicking.

Any advice?
Plz dont tell me I should have bought v1000's to be save....I tried but not available in the quantities I needed. I got 6 1000watt psu and with that I basically bought all the 1000 watt psu's which were gold/platinum in vienna.

• Upvote 1

world    84

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the v850 power supplies :(

The v850 PSUs are single rail, so there shouldn't be any issues with rail balancing.

It's strange that all 3 units don't work. Are you switching out the modular cables when you're switching out the power supplies as well? It's extremely unlikely that all 3 units are defective, but there's a chance of that happening still. I think the best thing to do is to get exchanges for the units if there are any left, but if you wanted to do some more advanced troubleshooting, there are some things you can try doing.

Are you familiar with measuring voltages of power supplies? You could try to measure the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v leads while you start loading up the system and see if the voltage goes all crazy when the clicking starts. If you don't have any experience with this kind of stuff, I would recommend not doing it unless you have a specific power supply tester, since there's potentially a ton of power than can run through the cables, making it dangerous if you mess up.

• Upvote 1

strawman    1

Thanks for the reply. I could cancel my order altho it showed as shipped but the seller told me it was just rdy for shipping. Now I'm looking for other PSU's since I cant risk sending 11PSU away for weeks.
But from what you are saying you think the PSU's are defective?
And yes I tried 2 different motherboards and different cables, shuffled GPU's, different risers(thats where I assumed the problem to be :s) etc.
I dont have anything to measure the voltages my self but I got an electrician coming to the office where all the miners are located to install a new breaker (dont know the english word)

I'm a noobie in terms of power and electricity but each of my card is being "lifted" from the motherboard by a riser cable. I use powered riser since I dont want the GPU's to draw power from the motherboard. I prefer usb risers but since they were not available I had to use ribbon risers. Maybe they are faulty and they leak power back to the motherboard...maybe I can not power 3 cards from the molex cable? (edit: not power them only the power what the gpu would draw from the motherboard - I read on reddit that 3 cards on the molex should be enough since they draw only 25watt each (ruff estimate i think) )
I try to get my hands on some sata/molex adapters and distribute better?
What could cause such clicking? I could try to record it if that would help?

world    84

It's really quite strange that you're getting the clicking on multiple units :( I've actually never had a power supply click on me before, and I've actually overloaded power supplies before to the point where they shutdown due to overcapacity.

Yea, if you don't know how to measure voltages, it's ok. Don't try it yourself. If your electrician is willing to help with that, it might be handy to know if somehow the 12v rails are giving weird readings. 

Good choice though on powered risers. Without them, you run the risk of messing up your motherboard and really anything else connected to it. The power supply should be able to power 3 risers from a molex cable, since the power draw on those isn't that much, and also because the power supply is single rail. I don't think getting adapters would really help distribute power due to the single rail design--that is, all of the molex plugs and PCIE connectors draw power from the same rail, so no balancing needed.

Clicking sounds from a power supply can be a lot of different things, so it's difficult to know what exactly it is. But if you could record the clicking, I can try to hear what the problem is, although I feel like a recording would be hard to use to determine anything. I'll try though :)

strawman    1

Yeah the videos are unusable since the fans from the gpus and all the other noses interfere too much. But I found out that even I lowered the power draw from fall on 3 cards to 640watts it still clicks when cpu goes over 50%.
Also I drove over to a friend who also has one of the v850 series running 2x 7970 - I plugged an additional r9 280x in...aaaand...in the beginning there was no clicking, but as soon as he fired up a wallet which used 60% cpu his PSU started clicking.
Now I think that probably I might be crazy or it's just not defective but probably it has problems with haswell?
Unfortanely he has the same motherboard (z87 pro) as I have at home so I dont know if this might be it. I'm going to pick up a msi z87..65 later today and test with that.

Zakaria    0

Hi , i have a problem too with my V650W semi modular PSU , it's was working until one day ,i was downloading huge files so i just let my pc working all the night, and when i woke up i found it off, and when i wanted to turn it on it wont, i hear a tick tack and the fans furn of and than stop right away after 1 second or less, i tested my PSU alone with paper clip ( shortcut the green wire with the black one) and same thing , any help please ?