Sign in to follow this  
silencer51

Geminii M4 in Elite 130 case

silencer51    0

Hello everyone.

For my new build I decided to go mini-ITX so I got an Elite 130 case (beautiful and practical) and for CPU cooling, since the stock intel cooler leaves a lot to be desired, I went with the Geminii M4.

With this gaming build I don't plan on overclocking. The first CPU I tried was a i5 4570 which under linpack stress testing hit 80 degrees + with the Geminii M4 + both Elite 130 fans working (80mm intake + 120 exhaust at the front).

I've now moved up to an i7 4771 which, while running great, produces insane amounts of heat. While it idles at around room temperature (~25-30 degrees), under linpack stress testing, after some time it will hit mid 90s and even 100 degrees if I use the latest linpack with AVX instructions.

At first I thought that the problem was a matter of reseating and re-applying thermal paste, however I've now done almost 15 reseats with no noticeable improvements, save for a few degrees here and there.

I replaced the stock low profile 1600rpm fan with a larger 120mm one that pushes more air and has greater pressure, however the results are still scary when benching.

I know that these CPUs run hot, but I'm worried that come summer this build will be unusable!

Any advice on this combination (Geminii + Elite 130 case?),

P.S. What I've noticed is that the base of the heatsink is not perfectly flat but slightly concave - the marks left on the CPU after removal show that the edges of the heatsink sit more flush with the surface of the chip than the middle part of the base.

Thanks in advance!

world    84

What kind of power supply do you have? Since most PSU's have a large fan on the bottom of them rather than 1 or 2 smaller fans at the end, I'm wondering if your PSU is fighting your CPU cooler for air. (So the CPU cooler is pulling air down towards the motherboard, and the PSU is pulling air up away from the motherboard.)

I don't know if it's feasible to have the GeminII M4 fan be blowing away from the CPU, since the PSU would then get a ton of hot air pushed into it.

Well if the heatsink seems to not quite be flat enough, you can either add more thermal paste to try and "fill in" the spaces, or lap the cooler a bit (do so at your own risk) Also that's a pretty high performance CPU is a pretty small space, so I doubt it'll ever be all the cool with any air cooler. Also take note that intel didn't soder the heat-spreader to the chip, and used thermal paste instead in the 1150 series cpus, so that'll limit your cooling effectiveness even at best.

In any case remember that stress tests are made to heat up your cpu, so normal use will not likely endanger anything, unless you are doing data-crunching or something else that puts the CPU at full load.

As for advice, I don't really know. Others might have some ideas on what to do to get your temps down.

silencer51    0

I am aware of the CPU heatspreader issue, but still, I didn't expect these temps. Truth be told, under normal usage + gaming I get much lower temperatures, however I still would like to try and improve things.

If anyone has this combo of case and cooler I would like to hear recommendations regarding intake+exhaust fan placement etc.

My PSU is a Corsair CX500M with the 120mm fan facing upwards (drawing air from the top grille).

Also, after the 5th thermal paste reapplication I tried increasing the TIM amount to make sure all gaps are filled. This helped a little with temps but not too much. I doubt things can be improved save for lapping the cooler, but from what I can see lapping risks rupturing the heatpipes...

world    84

Lapping your CPU and/or cooler probably won't make any significant difference. 

For the heatspreader issue, without any kind of overclock, your temperatures should be fine. The thermal paste vs solder under the heat-spreading issue really only kicks in at higher power usage.

How much clearance do you have between your CPU fan and your power supply? Have you tried temporarily running your system with the power supply outside the case to see if that improves your temperatures?

world    84

So, looking at the layout of the elite 130, I think setting the 80mm as an exhaust and the 120mm as an intake might be better. The 80mm fan is really close to the CPU cooler, which should allow it to pull out the hot air after it goes to the CPU cooler. With the 80 mm as an intake, the heat will probably stay in the case for longer, since it is so far away from the exhaust up front, and so the air gets recycled by the CPU cooler. 

If it's not too much of a hassle, I would recommend trying it :)